This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2588 / 52°15'31"N
Longitude: -1.6993 / 1°41'57"W
OS Eastings: 420621
OS Northings: 262333
OS Grid: SP206623
Mapcode National: GBR 4L1.96F
Mapcode Global: VHBXM.HHH8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382195
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482561
Location: Wolverton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Wolverton
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Wolverton with Norton Lindsey and Langley
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP26SW MAIN STREET
1457-1/6/125 (West side (off))
05/04/67 Church of St Mary the Virgin
Church. Origins of 1208, with later additions and alterations
including windows and priest's doorway probably late C14, C16
sanctuary ring and iron-work, with C19 porch, vestry, bell
turret and restorations, including rebuilding of east end.
MATERIALS: coursed lias stone rubble with ashlar east end,
timber porch and bell turret, and plain-tile roof.
STYLE: Early English and Decorated.
PLAN: 3-bay nave with south porch, lower 2-bay chancel with
EXTERIOR: entrance: glazed and gabled south porch has
decorative bargeboards, and traceried decoration to sides.
Within is a double-chamfered, 4-centred arch and studded plank
door with strap hinges, sanctuary ring and lock. Nave has
chamfered plinth. South side: diagonal west buttress with
off-sets; 2- and 3-light windows with trefoil-headed tracery
in double-chamfered, 4-centred arches. North side: buttresses
with off-sets between bays and diagonal buttress to west;
westernmost window has 3 lights with Y-tracery to head in
double-chamfered surround with hoodmould.
North doorway to centre bay: plank door with double-chamfered
pointed arch. Then a 2-light window with reticulated tracery.
West end: central buttress with off-sets between 2 lancet
lights in chamfered surrounds. Short bell turret with broach
spire and pierced openings.
Chancel: south side has double-chamfered plinth, partly
Priest's entrance: plank door in double-chamfered, 4-centred
arch; renewed ogee-headed lancet in chamfered surround and a
2-light window with reticulated tracery to head.
North side: ogee-headed lancet; vestry has Decorated-style
2-light window. East end has 3-light window with
Decorated-type tracery to head in double-chamfered surround
INTERIOR: oak screen, much restored, has Perpendicular tracery
to upper stage. Ogeed piscina. Wagon roofs. Octagonal font on
octagonal plinth has quatrefoil decoration. Marble wall
tablets with festoon embellishment to: Thomas Stanton `Lord of
the Mannor' d.1701; his son Thomas, d.1719; and Thomas Stanton
d.1664 and his wife Elizabeth d.1703. In north nave window are
many fragments of medieval stained glass, some in other
windows, south window of chancel has late Morris glass.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
Listing NGR: SP2062162333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings