This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1355 / 52°8'7"N
Longitude: -1.6654 / 1°39'55"W
OS Eastings: 423000
OS Northings: 248630
OS Grid: SP230486
Mapcode National: GBR 5NY.5RH
Mapcode Global: VHBY7.2LY8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482916
Location: Alderminster, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Alderminster
Built-Up Area: Alderminster
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Alderminster
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP24NW Church of St Mary and the Holy Cross
Church. C12 nave and c1200 crossing and transepts, early C13
tower and chancel; extensively restored by F Preedy in 1884.
MATERIALS: coursed lias limestone rubble, uncoursed rubble to
tower, with ashlar dressings and quoins; steeply pitched old
PLAN: 4-bay nave, transepts with central tower; 3-bay chancel.
EXTERIOR: chancel has rebuilt east wall with 3 lancets on
original moulded sill course. North side has restored lancets;
south side similar, but with C14 straight-headed window and
dial stone to one lancet.
Tower has lancets, and C19 quatrefoil openings to ringing
chamber; C15 parapet; projecting C19 south-east stair turret.
North transept has C19 north window on original string course,
and C19 east window; C12 round-headed west light.
South transept has C19 south lancets, C13 west lancet and
partly original east lancet.
Nave north side has mid C12 round-headed entrance of one
order, tympanum inset with original wheel cross, in C19 gabled
porch; early C12 light to east, C14 2-light window and two C19
lancets. South side has three C19 windows and entrance renewed
in C19; small light with original head.
INTERIOR: chancel has mid C13 piscina and blocked tower
entrance to south side; 2 aumbries, one original, one much
restored, to north side; late C19 roofs.
FITTINGS: c1884 font by Preedy has relief scenes and figures
of evangelists, c1661 font in porch; late C19 furnishings.
MONUMENTS: some C17 and C18 wall tablets, also one to James
Kettle, d.1806, a Non-conformist minister.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 62; Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the
County of Worcestershire: 1971-: 10-12).
Listing NGR: SP2300048630
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings