This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1656 / 52°9'56"N
Longitude: -1.7098 / 1°42'35"W
OS Eastings: 419948
OS Northings: 251962
OS Grid: SP199519
Mapcode National: GBR 4M6.6KL
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.9TZR
Entry Name: Clifford Manor
Listing Date: 6 February 1952
Last Amended: 27 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382563
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482947
Location: Clifford Chambers and Milcote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Clifford Chambers and Milcote
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
(Formerly Listed as:
Manor house. c1700, probably on site of manorial court house
with alterations after fire, 1919-21, by Sir Edwin Lutyens.
Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped graduated stone slate roof
with several brick stacks. H-plan with long rear wing.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 9-bay range: 2:5:2 bays.
Central block flanked by advanced wings with central entrance
bay breaking forward under pediment. Ashlar plinth and quoins
and plat band over ground floor; top modillioned timber
cornice. Entrance has bolection-moulded architrave and
small-paned overlight to small-paned half-glazed door; niche
above has shell vault and pediment containing armorial bearing
with mantling. Flanking windows have rubbed brick flat arches
with keys over 9/9 sashes with thick glazing bars in flush
wood frames. 4 oeil-de-boeuf windows to 1st floor.
Wings have 2 sashes to each floor, 9/9 sashes to ground floor,
6/6 sashes to 1st floor.
Right return has window to left of, and 3 windows to right of,
a lateral stack with armorial plaque and early C20 2-storey
bay window with flat roof over paired sashes; 18-pane sashes
to ground floor and 12-pane sashes to 1st floor (horned to
bay). Left return, including long wing mostly by Lutyens, has
2 single-storey porches with pavilion roofs and
4-fielded-panel doors; windows mostly with 12-pane horned
sashes, and 2 taller windows to left end with 6/9 sashes; one
hipped dormer with 2-light leaded glazing; 2 cross-axial
stacks; right end has lateral stack with some dressed stone
and bell under lean-to canopy to right, and 2-storey hipped
bay with 8:12:8-pane horned sashes. End of wing has tripartite
sash and hipped dormer, originally joined a medieval rear
wing, rebuilt by Lutyens but demolished c1946 and c1960.
Rear elevation, mostly by Lutyens, has loggia between short
and long wings, that to left as to front, with worn sundial;
loggia has Doric column supporting timber bressumer, 2 windows
with 18-pane horned sashes flank ceramic plaque, 12-pane
horned sashes to 1st floor; lean-to projection to left and
stair turret to right forming base of short plain tower and
with 9-pane sashes. Lateral stack and stack to front of ridge.
Long wing has entrance with original battened and studded door
in pegged frame, armorial plaque over, windows mostly with
12-pane horned sashes, and two 6/9 sashes to right end; 2
INTERIOR: full-height hall has early C18 bolection-moulded
panelling with dado rail, narrow upper panels and entablature,
C20 Tudor-arched ashlar fireplace with flanking Doric
pilasters with triglyphs and enriched cornice and eared and
shouldered architrave to overmantel; architraves to 2-panel
doors, one with frieze and cornice; upper level has
oeil-de-boeuf windows lighting corridor to rear and end
openings with twisted balustrades; radiator screens with
twisted balusters. Closed-well stair with dado panelling to
rear. Drawing room to right has fielded panelling with dado
and dentiled cornice; late C18 marble fireplace with detached
Ionic columns with yellow shafts and Regency grate; room to
rear has fielded panelling with dado and cornice; fireplace
with Ionic pilasters and overmantel with C16 elements.
Dining room to left end has C17 panelling with moulding to 3
sides and top frieze panels; early C20 plaster ceiling with
moulded border; fireplace has Tudor arch and linenfold to
overmantel, probably C20; 8-panel door with spool latch. 1st
floor room to right end has C17 fireplace with rich carving of
herms, winged beasts and birds flanking armorial bearing, late
C19 tiles and fireback dated 1697; room to rear has Regency
fireplace and grate. Ground floor has original early C20
panelled lavatory, and basin with marble and brick surround;
1st floor has early C20 panelled bathroom. Long wing has large
stone fireplace to former kitchen and some doors with moulded
Although much restored, the house retains many original c1700
features and interesting work by Lutyens.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth:
1966-: 234; Bagenal PH: Clifford Chambers Manor House: 1914-;
Country Life: Clifford Chambers Manor: London: 1928-).
Listing NGR: SP1994851962
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings