This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1343 / 52°8'3"N
Longitude: -1.718 / 1°43'4"W
OS Eastings: 419398
OS Northings: 248476
OS Grid: SP193484
Mapcode National: GBR 4MK.4H5
Mapcode Global: VHBY6.5MM7
Entry Name: Radbrook Manor with Attached Wall and Gates
Listing Date: 1 July 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382673
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483057
Location: Quinton, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Quinton
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Quinton St Swithun
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
1912-1/5/170 Radbrook Manor with attached wall
01/07/75 and gates
Manor house, now country club. C16 origins; west, garden,
front c1720; C20 alterations and additions. Brick laid to
Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; renewed pantile roof with
brick end stacks. Early Georgian style. L-plan with later rear
wings and infill.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 2:3:2-bay range; centre
breaks forward under pediment. Moulded plinth; rusticated
quoins to ends and Doric angle pilasters to centre; top
cornice and stone-coped brick parapet with heads of, probably,
Shakespearean characters and ball finials; centre has
entablature with triglyph frieze, pediment has armorial
cartouche to tympanum and urn finial. Entrance has architrave
and consoled entablature and pediment, overlight to 8-panel
door (alternate pairs of panels and single panels).
Segmental-headed windows have simple architraves with guttae
to moulded sills and key blocks over 9/9 thick-bar casements,
ovolo-moulded to inside, probably originally sashes.
Left return has returned cornice and parapet, segmental-headed
windows with keyed brick arches over pegged cross-casements
with leaded glazing, C20 sills.
Rear, reputed to be C16 in origin, has 2 C19 wings with
modillioned brick cornices and half-hipped gables, one with
large C19 stained glass window, and large 2-storey C20 block
Right return has returned cornice and parapet; single-storey
late C20 swimming pool range added to right.
INTERIOR: mostly altered mid-late C20; small C20 Imperial
staircase with flanking Corinthian columns; fluted pilasters
to beam. Room to right has mid C20 richly carved panelling and
contemporary fireplace; vine-trail cornice. Room to right has
reproduction Adam-style features. Late C20 toilet has mirrored
walls and tent-like black satin to ceiling. To rear a round
vaulted cellar with spiral staircase to central shaft and
drainage channels to floor.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: stone-coped brick walls approx. 13.5m long
flank front garden; front wall has bowed centre with low walls
supporting railings and piers with cornices and ball finials;
centre gate has fielded-panel gate piers with cornices and urn
finials (different to that to house), and enriched paired iron
gates and overthrow with monogram. VCH, mentions a Robert
Burton as owner in C18.
Important for its facade and gate.
(Victoria County Histories: Victoria History of the County of
Gloucestershire: 1968-: 83).
Listing NGR: SP1939848476
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings