This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2036 / 51°12'12"N
Longitude: -2.6547 / 2°39'16"W
OS Eastings: 354355
OS Northings: 145131
OS Grid: ST543451
Mapcode National: GBR MN.4F80
Mapcode Global: VH89Y.X0XP
Entry Name: Wells Infirmary Main Block (Also Known As Priory Hospital)
Listing Date: 13 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483349
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5445 GLASTONBURY ROAD
662-1/5/76 (North side)
13/09/72 Wells Infirmary, main block (also
known as Priory Hospital)
Former workhouse, now hospital. 1845, by ST Welch, extended
1871. Local stone squared and coursed, with Bath stone
dressings, Welsh slate roofs between coped gables, brick
EXTERIOR: mostly 2 storeys, but with 3-storey centre crossing
south elevation of 15 bays, of which bays 1 and 15, and the
central bays 6 to 10, project slightly. In a Tudor style. Bays
1 and 15 have angled corner buttresses with single offsets and
pinnacles, the gables also having central pinnacles, with band
course to first floor sills, single-light 4-centre arched
windows to both floors with arched labels, steel casements
inserted, trefoil panels in gables.
Bays 2 to 5 and bays 11 to 14 have rectangular windows with
square labels. Of the central projecting bays, bay 6 and 10
have corner buttresses and pinnacles, and bays 7 and 9 are
canted so that bay 8 has a greater projection, these bays
three storey, forming south end of the central crosswing.
Plain doorways to bays 6 and 10 and plain rectangular windows
to ground floor bays 7 and 9, the first floor bays have
2-light 'Y'-traceried windows with transoms and arched labels
to all but bay 8, which in a matching 4-light window. The
second-floor windows to this section have square windows on
the splays and another 4-light window to bay 8, over which is
a statue recess in the pinnacled gable.
The main entrance in bay 8 has a pair of panelled doors in a
4-centre arch flanked by two lancet windows, over which is a
pediment hood on brackets and a wrought-iron bracket for a
light, the door approached by 5 steps with simple wrought-iron
The side crosswings have some 12-pane sash windows in
segmental arched openings, these are echoed in the Red Cross
medical loan store attached at the north end of the west wing
by a short link wing. The taller centre crosswing has 5 bays,
then canted ends leading to an octagonal tower in the centre,
with a matching 5-bay unit northwards, again mostly with sash
windows in segmental arched-openings.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and Bristol:
London: 1958-: 326).
Listing NGR: ST5435545131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings