History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Goat Cottage (Number 8a)

A Grade II Listed Building in Wells, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2116 / 51°12'41"N

Longitude: -2.641 / 2°38'27"W

OS Eastings: 355321

OS Northings: 146016

OS Grid: ST553460

Mapcode National: GBR MN.3YJD

Mapcode Global: VH89S.5TN2

Entry Name: Goat Cottage (Number 8a)

Listing Date: 12 November 1953

Last Amended: 31 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383129

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483547

Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5

County: Somerset

District: Mendip

Civil Parish: Wells

Built-Up Area: Wells

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wells

Listing Text


WELLS

ST5446 ST THOMAS STREET
662-1/6/270 (South side)
12/11/53 Nos.8 AND 8A
Goat Cottage (No.8A)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST THOMAS STREET
No.8)

GV II

Pair of houses at end of row. Possibly C15 origins, but
largely a C19 adaptation. Rendered with false ashlar jointing,
colourwashed, double Roman clay tiled roof behind plain
parapet, between coped gables, end brick chimney stacks, that
to No.8A on stone base.
PLAN: an L-plan, single-depth layout; the rear wing a separate
property (No.8).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 4 bays. Casement windows of 3 lights with
single horizontal glazing bars, in plain openings with lias
stone cills, half-glazed doors in plain openings to bays 2 and
3. Late C20 doors and windows in west gable.
INTERIOR: to the ground floor are 3 wide chamfered beams (two
with run-out stops), a good 4-panel fielded door, and remains
of stone paving. The wing includes an early plank and muntin
door on strap hinges. The landing has two 4-panel and one
6-panel doors, and there is a C19 roof structure in 2 bays
with large principals and butt purlins.
HISTORICAL NOTE: this house was the Goat Inn from 1790 to
1938, and previously formed part of the manor house of the
sub-precentor of Wells Cathedral.
(Hale B: Vernacular Architecture Group Report: 1987-).

Listing NGR: ST5532146016

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.