This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2133 / 51°12'48"N
Longitude: -2.6373 / 2°38'14"W
OS Eastings: 355584
OS Northings: 146207
OS Grid: ST555462
Mapcode National: GBR MN.3ZLC
Mapcode Global: VH89S.7RNQ
Plus Code: 9C3V6977+83
Entry Name: 75, St Thomas Street
Listing Date: 12 November 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483567
Location: Wells, Mendip, Somerset, BA5
Civil Parish: Wells
Built-Up Area: Wells
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST5446 ST THOMAS STREET
662-1/6/289 (North side)
House in row, one of a pair, or possibly one larger property
with No.73 (qv). Dated 1682. Roughcast over local rubble, with
painted ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof with continuation
to west, coped gable to east, brick end chimney stacks. This
part of the building has a cross passage, with a heated room
and staircase to the right, and a narrow room with probably
inserted partition and chimney breast to the left; at the rear
is a long wing, formerly a stable and loft.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attic, 2 bays. Plinth, ovolo-mould
stone mullioned windows with labels, rectangular leaded panes
with central iron-framed opening lights, all 3-light except
lower bay 2 which is 4-light. Between bays a flush C19 door
with glazed panel in plain opening, up two steps. Datestone,
inscribed B/HM/1682, set over first-floor window bay 1. High
in east gable a small C17 moulded surround to a blind opening,
with central vertical iron bar, no hoodmould. The rear wall
has one filled former window, and a lofty C18 two-light
casement with leading.
INTERIOR: the windows to the front have deep embrasures, and
there is a 6-pane sash in the kitchen to the rear. A C19 door
gives to the timber winder stair. The attic roof is of the
C19, but a C17 door opens to the roof-space of the rear wing.
The former stable wing with loft has a wide plank door on
strap hinges, rough beams, and a stone floor; the roof was
rebuilt following extensive gale damage in 1987.
Listing NGR: ST5558446207
Other nearby listed buildings