This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4793 / 52°28'45"N
Longitude: -2.8005 / 2°48'1"W
OS Eastings: 345731
OS Northings: 287123
OS Grid: SO457871
Mapcode National: GBR BG.JWRY
Mapcode Global: VH761.DYV7
Plus Code: 9C4VF5HX+PR
Entry Name: Manor Farmhouse
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383216
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483634
Location: Acton Scott, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Acton Scott
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Acton Scott
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
1312-1/10/20 Manor Farmhouse
Farmhouse. c1581, C19 alterations and rebuilds, large wing on
east side demolished C19. Painted timber frame with painted
lath and plaster infill to original frame, brick painted to
imitate timber frame at ground floor and to later wings.
Plain-tile roofs with projecting verges. C19 integral brick
stack to left and ridge stack to right. Complex plan of main
range and cross wing with later projecting and adjoining
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys plus attic and cellar. South-east front
gable truss to left of straight tie beam and herringbone
pattern raking struts and collar with later leaded casement
cut in, rectangular framed first floor with 3-light leaded
mullion window and moulded bressumer, 3-light mullion and
transom ground-floor window over brick segmental arched cellar
opening. To centre is projecting gabled entrance outshut with
gable truss of straight tie beam, with collar and vertical
struts over and square framing under at first-floor level, all
framing with carved braces forming enriched cusped lozenge
pattern. Single leaded casement cut into first-floor framing,
brick segmental arched entrance doorway and C19 oak boarded
door below. Return sides of outshut repeat the gable pattern.
Main range to right has leaded 3-light mullion window over
mullion and transom ground-floor window. Large attic dormer
with single leaded casement set in close studding below
straight tie beam, collar and vertical struts which frame
carved braces forming concave lozenge patterns. To far right
is the gable-end of wing rebuilt in brick with single leaded
4-light mullion window over mullion and transom window.
Original first-floor bressumer retained within brickwork as is
straight tie beam and herringbone pattern framing in the
South-west side: leaded 3-light casements at each floor set in
square framing 2 panels high at first floor and brick under.
Rear: to right is large main range-gable with collar and
vertical struts, straight tie beam with square framing below
and moulded first-floor bressumer, all infilled with
herringbone pattern braces. Leaded casement in attic framing
and leaded 3-light casement at first floor, mullion and
transom window set in ground-floor brick. Centre now covered
by painted brick lean-to outshut.
To left is rear gable of brick wing retaining
herringbone-framed gable truss. Lower floors covered by later
projecting gabled single-storey and attic brick extension
North-east side: 2-storey, 2-window range of 3-light casements
with single 4-light casement below, flanking central C20 door
under projecting gabled porch canopy. Projecting gabled wing
and central section, which has an overhung gabled porch and a
large gabled dormer. The lower part of the left wing now brick
and painted, but the post-and-panel supports below the
(originally) overhung upper portion remain below brick.
Remainder of house of post and panel construction.
INTERIOR: various alterations. There are some good doors with
C18 brass furniture, a small original oak staircase.
Double-purlin roof over main range.
Listing NGR: SO4573187123
Other nearby listed buildings