This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.527 / 52°31'37"N
Longitude: -2.774 / 2°46'26"W
OS Eastings: 347585
OS Northings: 292409
OS Grid: SO475924
Mapcode National: GBR BH.FXD8
Mapcode Global: VH75V.VRV4
Plus Code: 9C4VG6GG+R9
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 15 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383320
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483738
Location: Hope Bowdler, Shropshire, SY6
Civil Parish: Hope Bowdler
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Hope Bowdler
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO49SE Church of St Andrew
Church. Rebuilt 1863, incorporating C12 and C13 material
mainly in tower, by S Pountney Smith.
MATERIALS: rusticated ashlar with ashlar dressings with
chamfered plinth. Plain-tile roof, hipped over vestry and
pyramid over tower, fish-tail pattern tiles on porch,
ashlar-coped gable to chancel.
PLAN: chancel with south vestry, nave with south porch, west
EXTERIOR: chancel with east window of triple stepped lancets
in Early English style. North wall with 2 lancets. South wall
has lancet to right, and canted projecting vestry with 4
lancets on the faces.
Nave north and south walls have opposing range of 3 lancets in
Early English style. East ends of nave each with 2-light
window with roundel vesica, hoodmould and small gable. Arched
south doorway covered by gabled porch.
Tower: 3-stage stepped tower with chamfered capped plinth.
Lancets to west and south faces at lower stage with stair
window slits and door to north. Chamfered slit windows to
middle stage on north and south faces. 2 lancets on each face
of bell-stage. Moulded cornice, clockface under small gable to
INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel roof with 3 arched braced collar
trusses, twin purlins and intermediate principals, all with
moulding and opposing curved windbraces. 4-bay nave roof with
5 arched braced collar trusses and single purlin.
Transitional-style pointed chancel arch on large colonnettes
and tower arch with smaller colonnettes. Stained glass by
Kempe together with reset C13 or C14 glass. Carved pulpit
Listing NGR: SO4758592409
Other nearby listed buildings