History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushbury, Shropshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5223 / 52°31'20"N

Longitude: -2.7182 / 2°43'5"W

OS Eastings: 351369

OS Northings: 291848

OS Grid: SO513918

Mapcode National: GBR BK.G5JF

Mapcode Global: VH83B.TVWR

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 12 November 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383373

English Heritage Legacy ID: 483791

Location: Rushbury, Shropshire, SY6

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Rushbury

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Rushbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hope Bowdler

Listing Text


RUSHBURY

SO59SW Church of St Peter
1312-1/7/191
12/11/54

GV II*

Church. Mainly C12 rebuild and extension of Saxon work, C15
upper stage of tower and re-roofing, heavily restored and
south vestry added c1855.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings, rubble laid in
herringbone bond on north and south walls. Plain-tile roofs
with club pattern tiles, ornamental ridge tiles and ashlar
coped gables.
PLAN: linear plan of nave, chancel, and west tower with south
porch and south vestry.
EXTERIOR: chancel with late C12 east window of 3 stepped
lancets with roundel over. North wall with 2 C19 stepped
buttresses and 3 lancets. South wall has C19 stepped buttress
and 2 C12 lancets to right of central south vestry with twin
lancets with hoodmoulds in south gable. Mid C19 restored
lancet to left of vestry. String course at sill level and
chamfered plinth on all sides extending into east end of nave.
Nave: to left of north side is C19 stepped buttress and C12
lancet to far left, 3 C19 lancets with hoodmoulds, C12
round-headed doorway with tympanum. South wall with C19
stepped buttress to right and C12 lancet to far right, C19
paired lancet either side of south door. Doorway is
single-order pointed arched opening with shafts with restored
water-leaf capitals and hollow chamfered abaci.
3-stage C12 tower with lancet on west face of lower stage,
slit window on south face of middle stage, 2 string courses at
top stage with twin pointed arched bell-chamber openings on
each face, mid C19 stepped buttresses on north and south sides
and chamfered plinth, battlemented parapet with corner
pinnacles.
South porch: restored timber frame with hammerbeam internal
truss and enriched truss externally of moulded tie beam,
cusped traceried screen between vertical struts with collar
with trefoil over. Single purlin roof. Nail-studded south door
with strap hinges, refaced on inside.
INTERIOR: renewed plastered walls. 3-bay twin-purlin chancel
roof with 4 arch-braced hammerbeam trusses, the truss on the
nave side with ornate close-studded screen-work and enriched
arched braces, cusped windbraces in central tier of purlins.
East wall has slender shafts with water-leaf capitals flanking
the lancets. Chamfered sill band. C12 pointed arched priest's
door on south side, now vestry door.
4-bay nave roof with 4 trusses and single trenched purlin.
Trusses of arch-braced collar and tie beam type with cusped
arched braces and low vertical struts, wall posts and
brackets. Purlins with cusped windbraces above and below.
4-centred tower arch on chamfered abaci. Norman round bowl
font on C20 round base.

Listing NGR: SO5136991848

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.