This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5033 / 52°30'11"N
Longitude: -2.6465 / 2°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 356214
OS Northings: 289681
OS Grid: SO562896
Mapcode National: GBR BN.HK4D
Mapcode Global: VH83L.2BSV
Entry Name: Holdgate Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383406
English Heritage Legacy ID: 483824
Location: Abdon and Heath, Shropshire, TF13
Civil Parish: Abdon
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Holdgate
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
1312-1/12/212 Holdgate Hall
Farmhouse incorporating remains of castle. C16 with medieval
vestiges (late C13 or early C14), C19 alterations and C20
restoration. Sandstone ashlar rear, coursed rubble front with
ashlar dressings, and stone rubble. Plain-tile roof with
conical roof-end over tower wing. 2 integral stone ridge
stacks and brick stack all with brick shafts, integral brick
gable-end stack to north-east, projecting brick stack to
gable-end to south-west.
PLAN: rectangular plan with rear wing consisting of the lower
2 storeys of a semicircular castle tower, and end extension
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attic and cellar. South-east front is a
2-storey, 6-window range of C20 Tudor-style twin-mullion
windows over twin-mullion and transom windows. 3 restored
2-light gabled dormers. Entrance door to centre right with
top-light, C20 boarded door to left in segmental-arched
opening. Single-storey extension wing to left with three
3-centred arches of differing widths and with C20 infilling.
Right return gable: ashlar wall with 3-light attic casement to
left. Left return gable: stone rubble wall with C20 attic
casement, otherwise covered by single-storey extension wing.
Rear: to centre right is projecting wing of former castle
tower. Curved ashlar blocks on battered plinth with 3 thin
arrow-slits at lower floor and 3 chamfered glazed slits above.
Casement at each storey to right side of wing. To right is a
stone rubble wall with 3-light casement at upper floor over 2
single-light casements. To left is a mostly ashlar 4-window
range: 2 casements to left; 2 wood mullion and transom windows
to right, one with leaded lights; 2 C20 2-light ground-floor
windows, that to left with transom; C20 casement in cellar.
INTERIOR: square-framed internal partitions, large open
fireplace in hall. Chamfered bridging beams: those in hall
with faceted stops, the kitchen has concave stops, the parlour
has ogee stops. Fine roof timbers. Arched tower doorway.
Tower reputedly attributed to Bishop Robert Burnell,
Chancellor of England, who bought the castle in 1284, probably
as a replacement for the old castle to the south-west. The
castle was fortified in the civil war and besieged and heavily
damaged by the Royalists in 1644.
Listing NGR: SO5621789681
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings