This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3522 / 52°21'7"N
Longitude: -2.6241 / 2°37'26"W
OS Eastings: 357587
OS Northings: 272860
OS Grid: SO575728
Mapcode National: GBR BP.SYH2
Mapcode Global: VH84C.G4LN
Plus Code: 9C4V992G+V9
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484021
Location: Whitton, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Whitton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SE Church of St Mary the Virgin
Church. C12 chancel and nave, C14 tower, restored and chancel
extended 1891 by Sir Aston Webb. Stone rubble and render with
ashlar dressings. Plain-tile roof with integral roof over
chancel and nave, with ashlar-coped gables, pyramid slate roof
PLAN: chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel with late C19 Decorated-style east window
and diagonal offset buttresses. South wall with C19 window of
2 cusped lights to right, and C14 cusped lancet set in simple
chamfered ogee-headed surround to left. North wall covered by
gabled late C19 north vestry with east door and north windows.
Nave: north wall with 2 C12 round-headed lancets, one
restored, flanking blocked C14 north door of ogee-headed arch
with ovolo chamfer over simple chamfered door jambs. Large
buttress with offsets to right. South wall with restored C14
cusped round-headed lancet to right, and small restored Norman
lancet to left, of C12 south door with plain tympanum and
jambs, simple soffit chamfered abaci and dog-tooth edging.
South porch with tiled gabled roof on C19 framing set on high
brick plinth incorporating benches.
Tower: slightly battered walls with plain parapet and low
pyramid slate roof. Bold roll-moulded string course below
parapet and with rainwater shutes below to north and south.
Cusped lancet to upper stage to west. Flat-headed slits on 3
faces of middle stage and flat-headed window to lower stage to
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave and integral chancel roof with 3 late
C17-C18 king-post trusses with raking struts, all with
chamfered soffits supporting twin trenched-purlin roof. C19
barrel roof over extended chancel.
Piscina in west splay of south chancel lancet. Pointed tower
arch. C14 octagonal font located in tower. Marble memorial
tablet with raised border to Allan Whitefoord d.1776. Stained
glass by Burne Jones and William Morris of c1893 in east
Listing NGR: SO5758772860
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings