This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3363 / 52°20'10"N
Longitude: -2.7156 / 2°42'56"W
OS Eastings: 351339
OS Northings: 271148
OS Grid: SO513711
Mapcode National: GBR BL.TS62
Mapcode Global: VH849.WJ7W
Plus Code: 9C4V87PM+GQ
Entry Name: Ashford Hall
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484036
Location: Ashford Bowdler, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Ashford Bowdler
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Ashford Bowdler
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SW Ashford Hall
Country house. c1760, extended 1771 to sides and rear. Built
for Edward Hall. Brick with modillioned cornice below parapet,
hipped slate roof. Double-pile core with extension wings each
side and long rear extension to right.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic. East front is 7-window range
with central 3-window bay advanced under pedimented parapet
with modillioned apex, 6/6 sashes with moulded cases, with 3/3
sashes at second floor, with gauged brick lintels and stone
sills. Nearly half of sashes are blind: internally-blocked
openings retaining crown glass. Central portico with open
pediment, interrupted Doric entablature and 2 Tuscan columns
and pilasters. 4-panelled door with upper panels glazed and
fanlight with radial glazing-bars. Roof with plain brick
chimneys, lateral to front range, with ridge and parapet stack
Left return side: 4-window range. 2-window bay to right added
in 1771 as a projecting extension. 6/6 sashes with 3/3 at
second floor as for front. Tall niche set between windows of
projecting bays with large mullioned ground-floor tripartite
sash arranged 4/6:8/12:4/6.
Rear: Rear extension to left. 2-window range to right. 6/6
sash, and 10/6 round-headed sash to staircase with radial
glazing bars. 3/3 sashes to second floor. Restored 6/6 sash at
ground level and C20 door with fanlight and canopy.
Right return side: 8-window range. 2-window bay to left added
in 1771 as a projecting extension, the remaining window bays
forming 4 bays of 1771 rear extension. Sash windows as for
Rear extension end wall: 2 blind sashes obscured at ground and
part of first floor by single-storey service extension with
hipped tiled roof. Rear extension south wall: 3-window range
with 6/6 sashes with 3/3 at second floor, part obscured to
centre right by 3-storey C19 bathroom turret with
segmental-arched sashes. At ground level is a C20 porch and
INTERIOR: sash boxes generally intact, 6-panelled doors with
reeded doorcases. Dining room to north: vine leaf pattern
cornice with flower and ribbon pattern dado rail over raised
panelling with foliate beading. Inserted late C18 fireplace.
Central hall: oak open-string staircase with 3 steps per
tread, turned balusters and curtail steps, mahogany handrail.
Oak dado panelling. Drawing room to south: corn sheaf and
poppy pattern on cornice and deep moulded skirting.
Rococo-style fireplace and overmantel.
Listing NGR: SO5133971148
Other nearby listed buildings