This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3921 / 52°23'31"N
Longitude: -2.6773 / 2°40'38"W
OS Eastings: 354007
OS Northings: 277333
OS Grid: SO540773
Mapcode National: GBR BM.QHKP
Mapcode Global: VH844.J4ZK
Entry Name: Middleton Chapel
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383685
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484117
Location: Bitterley, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Bitterley
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Bitterley with Middleton
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
482-1/5/98 Middleton Chapel
Church. C12, restored 1857. Stone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Plain-tile roof.
PLAN: chancel, nave with north porch and integral bellcote.
EXTERIOR: C19 chancel east window of 3 Norman-style lancets
with roundel over. Blocked door with plain flat-headed
tympanum over. Flat-headed C12 lancet to south. North wall
with single C12 Norman lancet. Nave: north wall has C12 Norman
lancet, and C19 restored Norman-style lancet and doorway and 2
ashlar buttresses. South wall has single C12 Norman lancet and
3 C19 Norman-style lancets interspersed with 3 C19 ashlar
buttresses. West end rebuilt mid C19 incorporating arched west
window in Norman style, the window set in projecting buttress
rising to form bellcote with ashlar-roofed canopy with single
bell-opening. North porch: C19 gabled porch with
sandstone-slate roof, set on timber-frame and ashlar plinth.
INTERIOR: chancel with single-bay single-purlin restored roof
of reset rafters and ashlaring. Stained glass in east window
by Kempe. Restored chancel arch on scalloped capital and
half-round shaft. Chancel screen with 8 openings with vaulting
supporting gallery over, restored but retaining mostly
original material. Unpierced end bays, open central pair, and
mid rail with tracery under side bays. Arched entrance inset
with carving and initials N N on one spandrel. Open pendant
tracery in Decorated-style pointed arches. Vaulting over
arcade with bressumer with 3 bands of foliage carving. Plain
vertical-panelled gallery with restored foiled tracery in
central panels. Probably original, with a rood loft that was
not restored with the rest of the screen. Screen was dated
1582 prior to restoration. Nave: 4-bay restored roof with 3
arch-braced hammerbeam trusses and single trenched purlin
roof. Each truss of principals, collar, hammerbeams with
carved ends, strut and restored arch-braces, wall-posts and
brackets. C16 plain octagonal font.
Listing NGR: SO5400777333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings