This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4369 / 52°26'12"N
Longitude: -2.6393 / 2°38'21"W
OS Eastings: 356634
OS Northings: 282290
OS Grid: SO566822
Mapcode National: GBR BP.MLXJ
Mapcode Global: VH83Z.60KQ
Entry Name: Church of St Milburga
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383737
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484169
Location: Stoke St. Milborough, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Stoke St. Milborough
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Stoke St Milborough with the Heath
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
STOKE ST MILBOROUGH
SO58SE Church of St Milburga
Church. C13 and C15 with late C17 alterations, restored 1859
and 1911. Coursed stone rubble and stone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Plain-tile roofs, ashlar coped to chancel.
PLAN: chancel, nave with south porch, west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel with C19 Decorated 3-light east window with
foil tracery. Early C15 north window of 3 cusped lancets.
Decorated south window of 2 cusped lancets with quatrefoil
over, with C17 cross-boarded door to right with reset flat
stone lintel with diagonal dressing. Rugged lateral buttress
at south-east corner. Nave north wall with 3 mid C19 arched
2-light windows with quatrefoil vesica. Buttresses with
offsets, and low flat buttresses at corners. Restored
square-headed window with leaded lights to east. South wall
with simple C13 lancet to west, 2 early C14 windows of twin
cusped lancets with lozenge over, C17 south doorway with
segmental arch on plain abacus. 3 buttresses with setbacks and
one blocked high-level window to east. Tower: C13 lower stages
with splayed plinth below roll-moulded string course. First
and second stages have lancets to south and west. The upper
level of the second stage has twin lancets on 3 sides and is
capped by corbelled course at former roof position. Upper
stage is C15 bell-chamber, with twin cusped lancets on each
side, and C17 rebuilt top including string course, castellated
parapet, and pyramid roof. South porch: C17 tiled gabled porch
with single tenoned-purlin roof. 2 cruck-framed trusses with
collars. Outer truss with chamfered members and struts above.
Inner truss with chamfered crucks only. Restored rafters and
straight wind braces. Close-studded timber-frame with
herringbone brick infill panels on stone rubble plinth.
INTERIOR: chancel has 2-bay roof with 4 chamfered trenched
purlins, with one chamfered arch-braced collar truss with
raking struts. Moulded north wall plate reputed to be former
rood-loft bressumer. Restored piscina with reset C14 carved
stone. East window glass by Evans and Son of Shrewsbury. C17
panelling set around altar. Early C13 chancel arch of 2 orders
with simple cavetto-moulded abacus, capitals of broad
flat-leafed decoration much restored, and chamfered shafts.
Nave has 5-bay chamfered double trenched-purlin roof with
diagonally-set ridge, chamfered straight wind braces at both
purlins with inverted additional bracing at lower purlin. 6
trusses: 4 arch-braced collar trusses with raking struts,
with, at each end, 2 twin vertical-strut and collar trusses,
that to the west infilled with later struts. One collar dated
1707 between inscribed initials. Triple-chamfered Early
English tower arch with moulded capitals. C12 font with fluted
bowl set on C20 stepped plinth. Vestiges of painted medieval
wall plaster above chancel arch. Wall monuments in chancel: to
Elizabeth Adams/Lucy d.1667. Latin tablet with 2 coats of arms
and festoon between, round arched pediment surmounted with
coats of arms, side pilasters, putti on brackets; to George
Lee d.1673. Simple Latin inscribed tablet surmounted with an
ornate coat of arms; to Edward Botterel d.1782. Large tablet
with cornice surmounted with globe finial and coat of arms
below; to Thomas Wall d.1772. Plain framed painted timber
tablet with marbled painted timber backing surmounted with
coat of arms.
(Klein P: A Guide to Stoke St Milborough Parish Church:
Leominster: 1992-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Shropshire: Harmondsworth, Middlesex: 1958-: 294).
Listing NGR: SO5663482290
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings