History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hacra Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2905 / 54°17'25"N

Longitude: -2.4696 / 2°28'10"W

OS Eastings: 369528

OS Northings: 488416

OS Grid: SD695884

Mapcode National: GBR CL6T.4R

Mapcode Global: WH94C.1F86

Entry Name: Hacra Farmhouse

Listing Date: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383881

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484313

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD68NE DENTDALE
162-1/10/81 (North side)
Hacra Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably later C17 (court-cupboard dated 1678);
extended, and altered in late C18 or earlier C19. Coursed
rubble with quoins, the front white-washed; stone slate roof
on 2 levels. Two-unit plan on north-south axis, facing east,
with a full-height rear outshut and a 1-unit extension at the
south end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 1+3 windows. The earlier 3-window portion
has a small lean-to porch offset left of centre, with a
doorway in the left side and a re-located round-headed 1-light
window in the front wall and a similar window in the
right-hand side; a rectangular 6-pane sash to the left and a
similar but slightly smaller window to the left of that (in
the position of a fire-window); 2 small oblong 6-pane sashes
offset right above these; and one similar window on each floor
to the right. All these sashes have vertical glazing bars
only. This portion has chimneys at both gables, that to the
left coupled with a chimney to the extension, which has a
doorway to the left, a small recessed 9-pane window to the
right and a 6-pane sash at 1st floor (like the others). Rear
has remains of some earlier windows, including a blocked
chamfered stairwindow and a 2-light mullioned window above and
to the left of this, now lacking the mullion.
INTERIOR: the former housepart (to left), now sub-divided by
an inserted partition, has a pair of stop-chamfered axial
beams tenoned into the bressumer of a former smokehood, and
the original lower-end partition (now in passage) incorporates
a fine built-in court-cupboard with 3 tiers of cupboards, the
top tier set back and elaborately carved with scrollwork,
under a carved mantel which is lettered "I:C:A" "1678". At the
rear of the main range is a sunk dairy which has stone
shelving all round and a small well in the floor.
Forms a group with barn approx. 15m east (qv).


Listing NGR: SD6952888416

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.