History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage and the Old Parsonage

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2771 / 54°16'37"N

Longitude: -2.4547 / 2°27'16"W

OS Eastings: 370489

OS Northings: 486923

OS Grid: SD704869

Mapcode National: GBR CL9Z.CJ

Mapcode Global: WH94C.8RBG

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage and the Old Parsonage

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384000

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484432

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD7086 VILLAGE GREEN, Dent Town
162-1/25/206 (South side)
16/03/54 The Old Vicarage and the Old
Parsonage
(Formerly Listed as:
VILLAGE GREEN
The Old Vicarage)

GV II

Vicarage and parsonage, now 2 dwellings. Dated 1673 on lintel
of parsonage door; extended in C18 and C19, and altered.
White-painted rubble, stone slate roof on 2 levels. Irregular
plan formed by single-depth 2-unit parsonage on an east-west
axis facing north, with a 1-bay double-depth extension at the
west end; the vicarage to the left with a single-depth 1-bay
front range and a large C19 double-depth addition to the rear.
EXTERIOR: the parsonage, 2 low storeys and 2 windows, has a
square-headed doorway to the right with a part-glazed door,
the lintel with raised lettering "H : 1673 / H / T M", a stone
slate drip-course over the ground floor to the left, an early
C20 rectangular 2-light casement at ground floor, and 2 small
3-light mullioned windows above, with chamfered flush
mullions. The extension to the right, breaking forwards and 2
higher storeys, has a large C19 2-light window at ground
floor, with a chamfered mullion, and a sashed window with
margin panes above. The Old Parsonage to the left has a
square-headed doorway abutting the junction (with C20 door and
glazed porch), a small square opening at a low level to the
left, and above that a tall 24-pane window (perhaps a
stair-window). Ridge chimney at junction of lower range and
gable chimney to left of that; extruded chimney at left gable
of addition to right. Rear: C19 2-storey 2-window addition,
facing south, has 2 large 30-pane sashes on each floor.
INTERIOR: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SD7049586916

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.