History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Low Scar and Barn Attached to East

A Grade II Listed Building in Garsdale, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3101 / 54°18'36"N

Longitude: -2.3526 / 2°21'9"W

OS Eastings: 377156

OS Northings: 490559

OS Grid: SD771905

Mapcode National: GBR DL0L.GQ

Mapcode Global: WH946.TXXN

Entry Name: Low Scar and Barn Attached to East

Listing Date: 16 March 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384038

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484470

Location: Garsdale, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Garsdale

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Garsdale Station

Listing Text


GARSDALE

SD79SE HAWES ROAD
162-1/8/245 (North side)
16/03/54 Low Scar and barn attached to east

II

Farmhouse with attached barn, now house. Dated 1724 on porch;
altered. Coursed rubble with quoins and some through-stones,
the house painted white; stone slate roof. Two-unit
one-and-a-half depth plan on roughly east-west axis facing
south, with barn continued at east end.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and 3 windows, with a stone slate
drip-course over the ground floor, a gabled porch offset right
with a square-headed outer opening, an iron-studded oak inner
door and a re-cut square stone plaque in the gable inscribed
"ID:ID / 1724"; stepped 3-light windows left and right of the
porch and a 2-light fire-window beyond that to the left; two
2-light windows above to the left and another stepped 3-light
window above to the right. Former corbelled chimney at left
gable now replaced with C20 chimney; C20 chimney at junction
with barn to right. The barn continued at the same height has
a doorway to the left (now with a concrete lintel), a former
doorway near the right-hand end now altered as a window, and a
square loading doorway above (now with C20 glazing). Rear:
house has staggered pair of small chamfered 1-light
stair-windows in centre, now flanked by large C20 3-light
casements on each floor; barn has wagon doorway to left now
with glazed screen and door.
INTERIOR: housepart to left and former scullery to its rear
now integrated, former axial beam removed and re-used at this
junction, and former smokehood bressumer also removed and
re-used as axial beam; former panelled partition removed and
parts of beam to which it was attached re-used as lintel of
doorway to staircase and as lintel to cupboard; old board door
to parlour, which is now integrated with former dairy to its
rear; tie-beam of roof truss removed and new one fitted at
higher level.


Listing NGR: SD7715690559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.