History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thursgill

A Grade II Listed Building in Sedbergh, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3347 / 54°20'4"N

Longitude: -2.4923 / 2°29'32"W

OS Eastings: 368084

OS Northings: 493347

OS Grid: SD680933

Mapcode National: GBR CL19.6X

Mapcode Global: WH944.P9CS

Entry Name: Thursgill

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Last Amended: 18 October 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384084

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484516

Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Sedbergh

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Sedbergh

Listing Text


SEDBERGH

SD69SE BUCKBANK LANE, Soolbank
162-1/6/438 Thursgill
14/06/84
(Formerly Listed as:
SOOLBANK
Thursgill)

II

Farmhouse, now house. Probably late C17 or early C18, with
additions and alterations dated 1883 (over present front
doorway) and 1899 (on added porch). Roughly-coursed mixed
rubble, the earlier portion mostly blue ragstone, with
sandstone quoins, stone slate roof. Formerly T-plan formed by
single-depth 2-unit main range on north-south axis, with broad
gabled wing overlapping junction of bays on west side;
enlarged in C19 by addition full-height outshut to north of
this including added outbuilding at north end, and curved
porch in angle to south.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and cellar, 3:2 windows to the west
elevation, the 3-window portion being the added outshut. This
has a doorway abutting the junction with the wing (datestone
above lintel lettered "J.N. 1883"), another doorway at the
left end and 3 narrow windows on each floor between these. The
gable of the wing has irregular fenestration: a square 15-pane
fixed window offset left at ground floor, a 16-pane tilting
casement stair-window slightly above to the right, a similar
window at a higher level to the left and a 12-pane
stair-window above the other one. In the angle to the right is
a curved porch in free Gothic style, with a round-headed
doorway, datestone lettered "T H / 1899", roll-moulded run-out
imposts with small square windows over them, and a
quarter-conical blue slate roof. Ridge chimney in line with
wing, gable chimneys at both ends, that to the south extruded.
Rear (east elevation), 2:3:2 windows, the 2-window south bay
slightly projecting, with quoins to both corners; rectangular
windows with glazing bars (those at 1st floor of the south bay
with smaller panes).
INTERIOR: housepart (present centre bay) has massive inglenook
bressumer and muntin-and-plank heck, and similarly panelled
partition to wing; plaster on other partitions on both floors
may conceal similar panelling; narrow room partitioned off
north end of housepart and furnished with stone shelving; wing
contains pantry with stone shelving, and quarter-turn
staircase with closed string, square newels and broad moulded
handrail (some balusters missing, others replaced) which
continues to attic level, where the top flight does not relate
to the present arrangement of the roof, which has been
altered.

Listing NGR: SD6808493347

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.