This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.3236 / 54°19'25"N
Longitude: -2.527 / 2°31'37"W
OS Eastings: 365820
OS Northings: 492134
OS Grid: SD658921
Mapcode National: GBR BLSF.QV
Mapcode Global: WH944.4LX9
Entry Name: Marshall House and Attached Area Railings
Listing Date: 16 March 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384185
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484617
Location: Sedbergh, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10
District: South Lakeland
Civil Parish: Sedbergh
Built-Up Area: Sedbergh
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Sedbergh, Cautley and Garsdale
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
SD6592SE MAIN STREET, Sedbergh Town
162-1/26/415 (South side)
Marshall House and attached area
Town house. Mid C18; altered. Colour-washed roughcast render
(rear of random rubble with quoins), slate roof with stone
chimneys. Double-depth double-fronted plan.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, now with 4 windows at 1st floor but
originally with 5. Offset right of centre is a doorway with
moulded stone surround and segmental pediment, panelled door
with glazed panels in the centre and top. Left of the doorway
is a 2-storey flat-roofed canted bay window with hornless 12-
and 8-pane sashes; all other windows are hornless 12-pane
sashes. Attached to the front wall each side of the doorway
are cast-iron bar railings with anthemion heads. Attached to
the left corner at 1st-floor level is a lantern on a bracket.
Rear: 3 storeys and 4 windows (including 2 vertically aligned
stair windows offset left), all except the lower of these
being 12-pane sashes with exposed boxes; back door now covered
by recently-built link to former single-storey wash-house
(which is not of special interest).
INTERIOR: right-hand front room has fielded panelling and fine
mid C18 stone fireplace with moulded surround and corbelled
lintel with fluted key, and above this an overmantel made of
ex situ C17 panelling dated 1686; rear hallway has fine
mid-C18 doglegged staircase with closed string, square newels,
turned balusters and broad moulded handrail; in the corner of
the half-landing between 1st and 2nd floors, an extremely
unusual shallow triangular lead-lined sink with a drain hole,
thought to have been provided as gentlemen's urinal.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built for Thomas Swettenham.
Listing NGR: SD6582092134
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings