This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3269 / 52°19'36"N
Longitude: 1.6759 / 1°40'33"E
OS Eastings: 650569
OS Northings: 276230
OS Grid: TM505762
Mapcode National: GBR YX3.4HW
Mapcode Global: VHM76.0SB2
Entry Name: Church of the Sacred Heart and Attached Presbytery
Listing Date: 30 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384451
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484885
Location: Southwold, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP18
Civil Parish: Southwold
Built-Up Area: Southwold
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Southwold St Edmund, King and Martyr
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM5076 WYMERING ROAD
588-1/7/138 (South side)
Church of the Sacred Heart and
Roman Catholic church and presbytery attached. 1914 by
Benedict & Foss for Rev H.St.Leger-Mason. Both buildings of
stone; Church has machine tile roof; Presbytery has slate roof
and stone stacks to left end and right of centre.
CHURCH EXTERIOR: nave and sanctuary, oriented north-south,
with tower over sanctuary. Square 2-stage tower with central
polygonal stair turret to south face rising above parapet.
Slit lights either side of turret. Two 2-light louvred belfry
windows to south face, one similar window to remaining sides.
Each face of otherwise plain parapet with 2 minimal recessed
cusped panels. 4-light east sanctuary window. Nave with five
2-light side windows: blocked doorway to east side under
depressed arch. Gable parapet to north front, with 5-light
window. Windows are in the Perpendicular style.
INTERIOR: austere with plastered walls. Pointed sanctuary arch
with dying mouldings. Stone polygonal pulpit and square
credence table against nave east wall. Depressed 4-centred
doorway in west wall leading to presbytery adjoining. Altar
reredos with painting of Holy Family. Panelled sanctuary
ceiling. Nave roof of four king-post trusses.
PRESBYTERY EXTERIOR: 2-storey nearly symmetrical front.
Central timber door with cusped panelling beneath moulded
4-centred arch. 2-light cusped window to right. Statuary niche
above with ogee cusped canopy and carved tracery panels. One
canted 2-storey bay window right and left fitted with 2- and
3-light cross casements. Parapet continuous over canted bays.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
(Brown C, Haward B & Kindred R: Dictionary of Architects of
Suffolk Buildings 1800-1914: Ipswich: 1991-: 39).
Listing NGR: TM5056976230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings