This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4057 / 51°24'20"N
Longitude: -2.4534 / 2°27'12"W
OS Eastings: 368559
OS Northings: 167501
OS Grid: ST685675
Mapcode National: GBR JX.QPL4
Mapcode Global: VH88X.FXBS
Plus Code: 9C3VCG4W+7J
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Last Amended: 17 July 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485123
Location: Saltford, Bath and North East Somerset, BS31
County: Bath and North East Somerset
Civil Parish: Saltford
Built-Up Area: Saltford
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
ST6867 QUEEN SQUARE
739-1/6/89 (North side)
27/02/50 Church of St Mary
(Formerly Listed as:
QUEEN STREET, Saltford
Church of St Mary)
Anglican parish church. C12 or possibly Saxon origin, some mid
C17 rebuilding following Civil War damage in 1643; restored
and remodelled in 1832, with much of walling rebuilt on
earlier foundations. Coursed and squared limestone; uncoursed
masonry to tower, the lower stage quoined; roof tiled in 1960,
replacing Welsh slates and earlier stone slates.
PLAN: 2-bay nave with long one bay chancel and west tower;
EXTERIOR: chancel on north and south walls has one 2-light
2-centre arched window with Y-tracery and lean-to north vestry
with reset C15 head stops. South side of nave has C19
three-light windows with intersecting tracery. North side of
nave, which has retained more medieval masonry, has (from
east) a C18 2-light mullioned window with beaded surround,
3-light Perpendicular Gothic window and late C15/C16
square-headed window opening with double-chamfered surround
and chamfered mullions, the latter with later replacement in
part. 3-stage tower, with small square-headed and round-arched
lights; C19 Norman Revival-style doorway to north, beneath
much restored medieval 2-light window with C19 plate-tracery
head; upper stage, rebuilt in C19, has round- and
segmental-arched windows and is crenellated with corner
obelisk pinnacles; early C19 lean-to to north.
INTERIOR: plastered walls; plastered barrel-vaulted roof to
chancel; chancel arch remodelled in C17, with semicircular
arch set on moulded medieval (C14) piers; C19 collar-truss
roof to nave. c1832 west gallery on slender cast-iron columns.
FITTINGS: late C19 brass eagle lectern; pulpit made up from
C17 fragments; pews of 1934.
MEMORIALS: wall memorials mostly of C18 and C19 date, with one
STAINED GLASS: some C19 stained glass, including east window
and red glass margin panes to chancel; fine First World War
memorial windows to each side of nave: north-east to Francis
Welford Ward, south-east to Arthur Harold Hobbs by Humphries
Jackson and Ambler Ltd of Manchester. Notable example of a C13
font, with circular top on chamfered octagonal base with 8
well carved early Gothic style heads.
HISTORICAL NOTE: a drawing in the vestry of 1789 shows the
church with a gabled south porch and corbelling to the upper
gabled stage of the tower, since removed. Pevsner gives an
incorrect 1851 date for the restoration.
Saltford Manor House (qv), Dovecote (qv) and Church form a
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Somerset and
Bristol: London: 1958-: 254; White E: Keynsham and Saltford:
Keynsham: 1990-: 78, 83).
Listing NGR: ST6855967501
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings