This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8587 / 50°51'31"N
Longitude: -3.5108 / 3°30'38"W
OS Eastings: 293762
OS Northings: 107668
OS Grid: SS937076
Mapcode National: GBR LH.V6D5
Mapcode Global: FRA 36JT.XR9
Plus Code: 9C2RVF5Q+FM
Entry Name: Bickleigh Cottage Guest House
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485148
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
848-1/8/46 (West side)
12/02/52 Bickleigh Cottage Guest House
House. Probably C17, truncated for road widening to left in
1906, partly remodelled 1930s, extended late C20. Render on
probable cob; wheat reed thatched roofs except for mostly
Roman clay tile to right-hand return (overlooking the river);
2 large brick rear lateral stacks at left and right, the 3rd
central hall stack truncated.
PLAN: original 3-room plan at the front (now truncated from
left and 2 rooms plus entrance hall); extended at rear left
and right with wings at right angles probably C17 and C18, and
wing parallel at rear late C20.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; slightly irregular 3 window range with
1906 oak framed windows with iron casements with leaded
glazing. 2-light windows to 1st-floor, the window at far right
is a taller transomed window which breaks the eaves under a
thatched gable; 4-light windows to ground-floor left and right
and 2-light window right of doorway. Buttressed doorway with
thatched roof on corbels; oak planked door. 4-bay right-hand
return has similar buttressed doorway with thatched roof to
2nd bay from left; C20 windows of various dates.
INTERIOR: has original chamfered axial beam in central room
and the feet of probable C17 trusses are visible in the rear
left-hand wing, the main roof not inspected. Other visible
features are mostly probably 1906 including the oak staircase
and some panelled doors.
Listing NGR: SS9376207668
Other nearby listed buildings