History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Tiverton, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9023 / 50°54'8"N

Longitude: -3.4889 / 3°29'19"W

OS Eastings: 295402

OS Northings: 112482

OS Grid: SS954124

Mapcode National: GBR LH.RKZ1

Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.6MN

Entry Name: The Town Hall

Listing Date: 5 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1384734

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485192

Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16

County: Devon

Civil Parish: Tiverton

Built-Up Area: Tiverton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Tiverton St George

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Tiverton

Listing Text


TIVERTON

SS9512 ANGEL HILL, Tiverton
848-1/6/109 The Town Hall
05/12/85

GV II

Town hall. 1862-64 by H Lloyd of Bristol. Grey freestone with
sandstone dressings, marble columns and ornamental slate
roofs.
STYLE: Eclectic Free Renaissance.
PLAN: asymmetrical.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Grand, richly-detailed, asymmetrical
front elevation with a 2 storey canted entrance bay to the
right rising as a polygonal turret with a steep polygonal
slated roof.
A second, square turret at the extreme left is set back from
the entrance and has a plainer steep roof; between the turrets
the front elevation is stepped back in two bays with
semicircular corners with a similar bay to the right of the
entrance giving a bow to the Angel Hill facade. The entrance
bay is divided by two tiers of marble columns with Corinthian
capitals with a segmental pediment at first-floor level.
The round-headed doorway has a carved head keystone, the
windows are round-headed with keystones and eared lugged
architraves.
The turret has paired round-headed windows with keystones and
a central clock below a round-headed arch. The bays to left
and right of the entrance are heavily rusticated with
round-headed windows with keystones and eclectic detailing
including rusticated pilasters and a decorated parapet. The
left-hand turret has rusticated corner pilasters and blind
round-headed arches to the first and second floors. Both
turrets are crowned by small platforms with decorated iron
balustrades and weathervanes.
INTERIOR: considerable survival of original features including
the stair.
HISTORY: the architectural completion for the town hall
attracted 60 entries. The final cost of the building was
ยป8,000. (Cunningham). The town hall is on a prominent corner
site at the top of Angel Hill and adjacent to the Church of St
George (qv).
(Cunningham C: Victorian & Edwardian Town Halls: 1981-; The
Boulder: 1864-).


Listing NGR: SS9540212482

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.