This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9032 / 50°54'11"N
Longitude: -3.4927 / 3°29'33"W
OS Eastings: 295136
OS Northings: 112590
OS Grid: SS951125
Mapcode National: GBR LH.RJYP
Mapcode Global: FRA 36KQ.C3W
Entry Name: 12-22 and 26, Church Street
Listing Date: 14 December 1972
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384799
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485258
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 CHURCH STREET, Tiverton
848-1/6/170 (West side)
14/12/72 Nos.12-22 AND 26 (Even)
(Formerly Listed as:
Terrace of 7 houses, forming part of the same block as Nos 2-4
St Paul's Square and 26 Church Street (qqv) (there is no No.24
Church Street). Probably built in the 1860s or 1870s; they are
similar to the St Paul Street houses of the late 1850s.
MATERIALS: pinkish-yellow brick laid in Flemish bond with
occasional extra headers; low chamfered plinth of squared
stone blocks. All openings have flat gauged arches, except for
a round-arched passage entrance between Nos 22 & 26. Windows
have cast-iron sills. Roofs slated. Chimneys mostly rebuilt in
similar style to earlier ones at Nos 2-10 (qv). Original
chimney on party-wall between Nos 12 & 14 is of pinkish-yellow
brick, projecting brick-courses at the top forming an
entablature with modillioned cornice. All the chimneys have
good 6-sided pots.
PLAN: double-fronted, No.12 with shop (probably original) on
the corner of Wellbrook Street.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 3-window fronts with centre doorways;
No.12 has 1-window return front to Wellbrook Street. Doorways
have deep reveals with wood panels on each side and on soffit
of arch, all having incised Greek decoration. 4-panelled
doors, the 2 lower panels flush; cast-iron knocker and
letter-box at No.12. 3-paned fanlights, that at No.22 with
coloured glass fitted behind the clear glass at the front.
Nos 14 & 22 now have C20 wooden doors, and at No.14 the
original fanlight and the incised panels have been removed.
Passage entrance has plank door, probably C20. All houses have
sash windows with glazing-bars, 8-paned except for 6-paned
ones in the middle second-storey windows.
Shop at No.12 has display windows both to Church Street and
Wellbrook Street with doorway on the splayed corner. Flanking
Doric pilasters supporting an entablature. Towards Church
Street display window 4-paned with vertical glazing-bars;
towards Wellbrook Street a similar arrangement, except that
the panes seem to be removable and have transom-lights above
containing decorated cast-iron grilles. Shop door glazed with
solid moulded panel at the bottom. Brickwork on the corner
above the shop is rounded and recessed, matching a similar
feature on No.26 Church Street at the other end of the block.
Deeply-projecting moulded eaves-cornice.
Rainwater pipes are recessed into the brickwork. Series of
patterned iron ventilator-grilles set into the stone plinth.
attached to the brickwork above the shop front a shaped
cast-iron plaque inscribed CHURCH ST.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: these were Heathcoat-built houses, closely similar to
the Heathcoat houses at Nos 2-10 (even) Church Street. They
are sketched in as a later addition on Heathcoat's estate
atlas of 1844 and may have been built by 1861, although Nos
2-10 appear to be as late as 1875-6. No.26 is linked to Nos 2,
3 & 4 St Paul's Square.
These form part of a well-preserved group of artisan housing
in Church Street, built for the workers at the Heathcoat
Family's silk and lace mills. Of interest for their external
completeness as part of a planned group, including Anglican
Church, institute and school.
Note: Nos 12-22 are new listings.
Listing NGR: SS9513612590
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings