This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8879 / 50°53'16"N
Longitude: -3.5002 / 3°30'0"W
OS Eastings: 294575
OS Northings: 110896
OS Grid: SS945108
Mapcode National: GBR LH.S936
Mapcode Global: FRA 36KR.G77
Entry Name: Ashley House and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 February 1952
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485269
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS91SW EXETER ROAD, Ashley
848-1/4/42 (West side)
12/02/52 Ashley House and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Small country house. Early C19, possibly a remodelling of the
C18 house recorded as being on this site (deeds from 1754).
Stucco with stucco impost and 1st-floor sill bands; dry slate
roofs, pyramidal over entrance bays; 2 brick stacks, 2
PLAN: L-shaped plan plus quadrant-plan entrance front
containing a large entrance and stair hall virtually filling
the angle; parlour in front of kitchen to left-hand wing;
principal parlour with bowed rear end to other wing, part of
the rounded spaces behind the bow containing as cupboards
facing onto a passage.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement; symmetrical 3-window bowed
entrance front. Original bowed hornless sashes with thin
glazing bars, those to ground floor with fanlight heads in
round-arched openings. Similar fanlight to central doorway
with pair of panelled and glazed doors; sidelights which
continue as fanlight surround; tripartite basement sashes
(blind lights flanking steps). Basement as plinth, impost band
which breaks back into the recessed window panels, sill band
to 1st-floor windows and moulded eaves cornice.
Front ends of wings at left and right of bowed entrance have
projecting canted bays with Gothic traceried heads to the
sashes. Right-hand return has passage doorway with 6-panel
door and traceried overlight.
INTERIOR: has most of its original features including: L-plan
staircase with open well curved to the landing, wreathed
mahogany handrail over newel and stick balusters; doorways
with moulded architraves and 6-panel doors with inner beaded
panels; marble chimneypieces with consoles and plaster band
with reeded moulding to principal parlour.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: curved flights of freestone steps from
left and right of doorway to landing in front of doorway and
with wrought-iron railings to either side.
Listing NGR: SS9460010872
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings