This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9014 / 50°54'4"N
Longitude: -3.4882 / 3°29'17"W
OS Eastings: 295450
OS Northings: 112377
OS Grid: SS954123
Mapcode National: GBR LJ.RD54
Mapcode Global: FRA 36LQ.DWR
Entry Name: The Museum
Listing Date: 14 December 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485355
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St George
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9512 ST ANDREW STREET, Tiverton
848-1/2/267 The Museum
National school. 1844. Snecked local purple stone with a cream
stone used for dressings. Natural slate roof with some
cast-iron rain water goods remaining. Tudor style.
PLAN: some rearrangement from original plan in order to
accommodate Museum's layout. Probably originally large
classrooms in outer wings and teachers accommodation in
centre. New block to rear. Axial chimney stacks.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with 5-bay front; Ends of outer crosswings
broken forward and gabled to front with kneelers and coping.
Centrally positioned plank doors in first, third and fifth
bays with arched hoodmoulds and carved label stops. Stone
plaques with `Girls' over first bay door and `Boys' over
third. First and fifth bays each have 3-light moulded stone
3-light windows with transoms and mullions at first-floor
level. Centre bay at first-floor level has gabled half dormer
with coped gable and kneelers and 2-light mullioned window.
Rest of front elevation has 2- or 3-light mullion windows with
hollow chamfers. All have glazing bars. Attractive pitched
stone yard at front with low wall to street.
INTERIOR: as part of the internal reorganization for the
Museum, a stair dating from 1749 from Bampton House has been
HISTORY: John Hayward of Exeter was the leading local
practioner of Gothic Revival church building in the County of
Devon from the 1840s to the 1860s.
Listing NGR: SS9545012377
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings