This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9041 / 50°54'14"N
Longitude: -3.499 / 3°29'56"W
OS Eastings: 294695
OS Northings: 112700
OS Grid: SS946127
Mapcode National: GBR LH.R9DX
Mapcode Global: FRA 36KQ.8P1
Entry Name: Newplace
Listing Date: 14 December 1972
Last Amended: 10 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1384960
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485419
Location: Tiverton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Tiverton
Built-Up Area: Tiverton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Tiverton St Paul, West Exe
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS9412 SEVEN CROSSES ROAD, Tiverton
848-1/6/250 (North side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Large detached house. c1770s but probably a remodelling of an
earlier building; 1927 addition. Renovations from the late
1960s to 1995. Rendered mass wall construction; tiled roof;
stacks with rendered shafts.
PLAN: sited on the outskirts of Tiverton with the West Exe
area developed by Heathcoat in the C19 now lapping up to the
garden. Asymmetrical plan, 3 rooms wide with entrance to right
of centre, now into heated entrance hall with stair to rear.
Owner reports evidence of blocked windows and doors, as well
as burnt ceiling beams when the house was re-rendered and the
asymmetrical plan may indicate an C16 or C17 3 room and
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. 3:1:1-window front with a
2-storey porch to the right of centre, Parapet above
finely-moulded cornice. At the left end a single-storey
addition in a sympathetic style was added in 1927, plans in
the possession of the owner. Doorcase with fluted pilasters
and panelled reveals below a deep flat porch hood on shaped
brackets; 6-panel front door.
The porch has sash windows in square embrasures with
round-headed glazing bars. To the left of the porch the house
has outer tripartite sashes with 12 panes in the centre and 4
in the outer lights; central windows with 12-pane sashes.
Single-storey addition at the left end has round-headed
windows and a hipped slate roof behind a plain parapet.
The right return of the house has a very pretty Georgian bay
window with curved sides and small panes and a central
doorway; one first floor tripartite sash.
The rear elevation has mostly late C19 or C20 timber casements
and sashes but preserves the C18 stair window which has a
round head in a square embrasure and timber spandrels. A stone
rubble outbuilding with a corrugated iron roof is attached to
the rear right corner of the house at right angles and is
probably c1800 with 3 round-headed windows in the right side
with small-pane windows and a Tudor arched doorway in the end
wall with a small-pane glazed C20 door.
INTERIOR: features of interest include white Italian marble
chimney-pieces; stair c1920s with deep handrail and
square-plan turned balusters. Pretty c1790s round-headed
panelled door with moulded doorcase between entrance hall and
left end room.
HISTORY: the owner reports that the name of the house has
changed several times. Title deeds reputed to begin in the
Listing NGR: SS9469512700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings