This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3857 / 51°23'8"N
Longitude: 1.3815 / 1°22'53"E
OS Eastings: 635378
OS Northings: 170612
OS Grid: TR353706
Mapcode National: GBR WZZ.23N
Mapcode Global: VHLG6.WFQK
Plus Code: 9F3399PJ+7H
Entry Name: Cinema De Luxe
Listing Date: 5 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385020
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485480
Location: Margate Central, Thanet, Kent, CT9
Electoral Ward/Division: Margate Central
Built-Up Area: Margate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR3570NW HIGH STREET
05-OCT-00 (West side)
Cinema de Luxe
Also Known As: Plaza, HIGH STREET, Margate
Place of worship, built as the Cinema de Luxe in 1914-15, with the interior altered in 1936. Original architect: Peter Dulvey Stonham F.S.ARC, FISE (1877-1942). Brick and steel construction, slate roofs. Plaster rendering to the High Street facade and left return wall on Grosvenor Hill, with a painted brick rear extension.
EXTERIOR: Two storeys in subdued Baroque style. The principal feature on the High Street front is a centrally positioned monumental double-height arch with channeled rusticated jambs and a keystone cartouche. Around the top of the main block is a frieze defined by shallow triple plaster string mouldings, above which is a rich entablature incorporating a dentil cornice and pulvinated frieze. Over the entrance arch is a wide tablet with scrolls and guttae at the corners. The ends of the main front have chamfers, the upper storey being corbelled out on elaborate mouldings. Above these latter features are two sets of small twin windows. The left return wall has an emergency doorway surrounded by plaster mouldings to create panelling. Stock brick rear walls. Roof not seen. The entrance arch contains two sets of double doors, above which is a frieze. Further up is an area of square-pane glazing surmounted by a large circular window with a deep hood moulding, flanked by miniature pilasters and volutes.
INTERIOR: A small foyer leads to a double-height auditorium with decoration dating from the two periods of construction. A beamed ceiling of neo-Baroque plasterwork is arranged as fields with lattice roundels to disguise ventilation extracts. At the junction with the side walls the beams are supported by double consoles. The furthest ceiling panel is inclined towards the top of the proscenium. The balcony has a serpentine and shaped front with, on the lower edge, a key-pattern fret. A continuous fibrous plaster streamlined cove below the cornice consoles runs from the balcony along the side walls to form the top of the proscenium, the sides of which feature are created by another area of fibrous plaster cast as vertical flutings. Late twentieth-century fielded panelling on the side walls. The balcony has been converted to office space but the original dome and rich plasterwork mouldings survive above false ceilings.
ANALYSIS: A good example of an architecturally refined early cinema, with many original features and the additional interest of the streamlined work of 1936. The facade is particularly fine of its date. Stonham was a significant local architect, who also designed the listed Torbay Cinema in Paignton, in which he held shares. The building closed as a cinema in 1987.
SOURCES: Martin Tapsell, Memories of Kent Cinemas, Plateway Press, Croydon, 1987, pages 82-3, 103.
Listing NGR: TR3537870612
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings