This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5885 / 51°35'18"N
Longitude: -0.1637 / 0°9'49"W
OS Eastings: 527311
OS Northings: 189336
OS Grid: TQ273893
Mapcode National: GBR CY.RD2
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.3BTL
Plus Code: 9C3XHRQP+CG
Entry Name: Phoenix
Listing Date: 5 October 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385096
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485558
Location: Barnet, London, N2
Electoral Ward/Division: East Finchley
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: All Saints East Finchley
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2789 HIGH ROAD
31/23/10363 East Finchley
Also Known As: Picturedrome, HIGH ROAD, East Finchley
Built in 1910-11 as the Picturedrome for H.E. Barley. Architect: S. Birdwood. The cinema was given a new facade and internally remodelled (including the re-orientation of the auditorium) in 1938, as the Rex, by Howes and Jackman. Rendered facade and left return wall, the visible auditorium walls in stock brick. Three-storey entrance block, with low auditorium behind, which has no balcony.
EXTERIOR: Moderne facade, with a simple concrete cornice. The entrance doors in the centre of the frontage are approached by two steps, becoming three on the right due to the fall in the ground. A canopy at first floor level runs the full width of the building. Three horizontal windows in the centre of the first floor under a hood mould. The top floor is left bare except for three vertical slits in the render. There is a narrow vertical window on the right of the facade and two similar windows, one above the other, in the left return. The black vertical feature to carry the name of the cinema is original.
INTERIOR: Small foyer with door on the right to a double-height inner foyer, from whence the auditorium is gained by a flight of stairs, again on the right. Long tunnel-like auditorium with a raked floor. The barrel ceiling, divided into fields by bands of plaster, dates from the earlier construction period of 1910-11, while the arch-topped proscenium and Art Deco relief panels on the side walls (and in the angle between the latter and the proscenium) date from the 1938 remodelling. The relief panels represent foliage and are in the style of Eugene Mollo and Michael Egan. Heavy moulded cornice which, in the far corners, rises to meet the proscenium.
ANALYSIS: An example of an early purpose-built cinema which has been in continuous operation. The interior contains Art Deco panels in fibrous plaster relief of high quality and the auditorium remains complete and unaltered since 1938.
Malcolm Webb: Greater London s Suburban Cinemas 1946-1986, Amber Valley Typesetting Services, Birmingham 1986, page 109.
Richard Gray: Cinemas in Britain, Lund Humphries, London 1996, page 139.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner: The Buildings of England, London 4: North, Penguin Books, London 1998, page 126.
Allen Eyles: Granada Theatres, Cinema Theatre Association, London 1998, page 249.
Martin Tapsell: `The Oldest Cinema', in Picture House, the magazine of the Cinema Theatre Association, No 24, Autumn 1999, page 7.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings