History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Building on South West Corner of Gammon Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnstaple, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0813 / 51°4'52"N

Longitude: -4.0619 / 4°3'42"W

OS Eastings: 255667

OS Northings: 133356

OS Grid: SS556333

Mapcode National: GBR KQ.D4T1

Mapcode Global: FRA 26C8.CCQ

Entry Name: Building on South West Corner of Gammon Lane

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385380

English Heritage Legacy ID: 485842

Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX31

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Barnstaple

Built-Up Area: Barnstaple

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Barnstaple St Peter and St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Barnstaple

Listing Text


BARNSTAPLE

SS5533SE TULY STREET
684-1/7/253 (North East side)
31/08/88 Building on south-west corner of
Gammon Lane

GV II

Showrooms of M Square & Sons, Implement, Manure & Cake
Merchants, now offices. 1903. By Alexander Lauder.
Cream-coloured brick with dressings of blue brick, stone and
terracotta. Slated roof with red ridge-tiles; gablet at left
end, gable with cream-coloured brick chimney at right end.
Broad, oblong plan, originally the front building to ranges of
warehouses and stables.
2 storeys. Arcaded 7-bay front consisting of a series of
segmental blue-brick arches springing from giant pilasters on
blue-brick pedestals, the pilasters with moulded stone
capitals and bases. 2nd bay from each end has broader
pilasters with taller superimposed pilasters rising to support
entablatures and triangular pediments at eaves level.
Left-hand entablature has ESTABLISHED 1875 carved on its
frieze and a terracotta scene of ploughing set into the
pediment. Right-hand entablature has ERECTED 1903 on the
frieze and a terracotta scene of reaping in the pediment.
Space within the arches was originally almost entirely glazed.
Ground storey now altered, except for twisted iron
guard-rails. All original windows remain in upper storey;
glazing bars form medieval style pattern with 2 round-headed
lights surmounted by a small circular one.
INTERIOR: not inspected, but it is known to contain a fine
timber roof with queen struts, arch braces and shaped raking
struts.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building occupies an important site
facing the cattle market and the castle mound. Alexander
Lauder was a Barnstaple architect whose pupils included WR
Lethaby. Ravelin Manor (qv), which he designed for himself, is
also listed.
(Lamplugh L: Barnstaple: 1983-: 113).


Listing NGR: SS5566733356

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.