This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0758 / 51°4'32"N
Longitude: -4.051 / 4°3'3"W
OS Eastings: 256418
OS Northings: 132721
OS Grid: SS564327
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DFL7
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.PMM
Entry Name: Arundel and Boundary Wall and Gate Piers
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Last Amended: 29 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385389
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485851
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5632 VICTORIA ROAD
684-1/5/259 (North West side)
31/08/88 Arundel and boundary wall and gate
(Formerly Listed as:
VICTORIA ROAD, Arundel
Arundel(frmly known as Arundel &
Newliston)inc bth pairs of gatepiers
Marked on OS as Arundel and Newliston.
Pair of semi-detached houses, now combined into one property.
Mid C19. Solid, rendered walls, probably of brick or stone.
Slated roofs, except for flat-roofed entrance porches. Main
houses hipped; rear wings hipped on inward-facing sides.
Rendered chimney on centre of ridge, above the party wall;
rear wings with chimney on the outward facing gable end, that
on the right-hand house of red brick, that on the left-hand
The houses have mirrored plans with entrance porches set back
slightly, at opposite ends. Small rear wing behind each porch,
parallel with the main house and projecting beyond the outer
side wall of the porch.
2 storeys with high semi-basements. Each house is 2-window
range with a further window in each porch and rear wing. Main
houses have broad band above semi-basement and moulded string
course at first-floor level. Semi-basement windows plain with
sashes having 2 upright glazing bars each. Ground-floor
windows segmental-headed with vermiculated archivolts, and
keystones, the former springing from moulded imposts supported
by large brackets; cills project on small brackets. Sash
windows, each with 1 horizontal glazing bar. 2nd-storey
windows have moulded, eaved architraves and cills on small
brackets; 6-paned sashes. Bracketed eaves cornice.
Entrance porches have 3 panelled doors and door-heads matching
those of the ground-storey windows, except that the imposts
are supported by 2 brackets; flight of steps in front with low
wall at either side having a flat stone coping. Upper-storey
windows have 6-paned sashes. Top cornice, the right-hand porch
with blocking course; at the left-hand house this has been
replaced by a parapet.
Rear wings have plain windows which have been altered, except
that the 2nd-storey windows have cills projecting on brackets;
ground-storey window of right-hand house has decorative iron
window-box holder. Semi-basement of left-hand wing has
6-panelled door; that of right-hand wing has 4-panelled door
with late C19 porch having turned wood columns and decorative
iron brackets. Both wings have bracketed eaves cornices.
Windows in rear wall (visible from passage leading to Barbican
Road) have mostly been altered, but left-hand house appears to
retain some barred sashes. INTERIOR not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: gate piers at the front are of ashlar
stone with moulded caps. Boundary wall of stone rubble with
shaped red brick coping.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Victoria Road was cut through in 1853
(Gardiner WF: Barnstaple, 1837-1897: 1897-: 16).
Listing NGR: SS5641832721
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings