This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5055 / 51°30'19"N
Longitude: -0.084 / 0°5'2"W
OS Eastings: 533072
OS Northings: 180246
OS Grid: TQ330802
Mapcode National: GBR TG.8H
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.HFG7
Entry Name: Hays Galleria
Listing Date: 20 June 1980
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385450
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470847
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Riverside
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3380 COUNTER STREET
636-1/2/261 (North side)
20/06/80 Hay's Galleria
(Formerly Listed as:
Building immediately to the rear of
Nos.51-67 Tooley Street)
Range of warehouses with offices, now offices, shops and
residential units. 1851-1857, rebuilt 1861 and C20.
By W Snooke & H Stock.
PLAN: the northern group of Hay's Wharf complex, formerly
connected to south block fronting Tooley Street by 4-storey
bridges over Counter Street. Altered, restored and rebuilt
inside as U-shaped plan around wet dock (now filled in). East
and west ranges: 1851-6; linking Counter Street range: 1857.
Much reinstated after fire of 1861; river ends rebuilt after
war damage, and again in 1980s.
MATERIALS: stock brick with artificial stone dressings, C20
EXTERIOR: main elevation of Counter Street block facing former
dock (now filled in and roofed as piazza): 3 giant storeys and
attic, 5 bays, central bay wider. Ground floor has
round-headed brick arches with walkway through to Counter
Street. 1st and 2nd floors articulated by giant pilasters with
stone bases and capitals supporting stone archivolts to
round-headed 2nd-floor windows. 1st-floor windows
segmental-headed. Stone entablature with cornice and pediment
over central bay.
Counter Street elevation similar but plainer. Similar,
slightly curved elevations facing dock piazza to east and west
ranges, east of 25 bays, west of 21 bays.
Battle Bridge Lane elevation to east range 22 bays with
advanced block to river of further 6 bays (much rebuilt).
Again, similar treatment to dock elevations with artificial
stone dressings and reinstated cornice. Similar Hay's Gap
elevation to west range of 15 bays, with a further 6 bays
(slightly projecting) towards river.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: part of the vast riverside developments
controlled in the mid C19 by John Humphery, for whom Cubitts
were the contractors. When finished in 1857 these buildings
were widely considered to be the best of their kind in London.
Part of the same complex as Nos 51-67 Tooley Street (qv),
which has group value with Nos 47 & 49 Tooley Street (qv).
Listing NGR: TQ3307780292
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings