History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Hedda (Roman Catholic)

A Grade II Listed Building in Egton, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4368 / 54°26'12"N

Longitude: -0.7615 / 0°45'41"W

OS Eastings: 480429

OS Northings: 505299

OS Grid: NZ804052

Mapcode National: GBR RK34.Y9

Mapcode Global: WHF8Y.8RM2

Entry Name: Church of St Hedda (Roman Catholic)

Listing Date: 19 October 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1385722

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471130

Location: Egton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO21

County: North Yorkshire

District: Scarborough

Civil Parish: Egton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Egton St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Egton

Listing Text

NZ 8005 EGTON EGTON BRIDGE

1320/16/10000 CHURCH OF ST HEDDA
R C Church

GV II


Roman catholic parish church. 1866-67, with minor C20 alterations. Designed by Hadfield & Sons of Sheffield. Nave, side aisles, chancel and eastern apse under a single roof. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs and terracotta ridge tiles. Chamfered plinth, sill band and chamfered eaves band. West front has large pointed archway with setoffs, rising to a small gabled bell-cote with cross finial. Central pointed arch doorway with single columns, moulded arch and hood mould. Above a circular window with cusped plate tracery. North front has single doorway with flat head in pointed arch door surround. Beyond to east 5 tall lancet windows. East end curved with 5 lancets set high up, curved roof topped with iron cross finial. South front has small slightly projecting gabled chapel with buttresses and a single 2-light pointed arched window with plate tracery quatrofoil. Beyond 5 single lancets. Lower projecting chapel to east with chamfered end. INTERIOR has 5 bay nave arcades and narrow passage aisles, these chamfered arches have alternating octagonal and circular piers plus circular responds. West organ gallery. Wooden barrel vaulted roof with stencilled decoration. Original wooden pews, carved octagonal pulpit. Ashlar circular font. Chancel apse has later wooden dado panelling and above painted murals. Elaborate German reredos.

Listing NGR: NZ8042905299

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.