This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8482 / 51°50'53"N
Longitude: 1.1609 / 1°9'39"E
OS Eastings: 617804
OS Northings: 221348
OS Grid: TM178213
Mapcode National: GBR VRR.0BB
Mapcode Global: VHLCS.2TK1
Plus Code: 9F33R5X6+78
Entry Name: Maltings to West of Railway Station
Listing Date: 27 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471381
Location: Thorpe-le-Soken, Tendring, Essex, CO16
Civil Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Thorpe-le-Soken
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TM 12 SE THORPE LE SOKEN STATION ROAD
(West side, off)
Maltings to west of
Maltings. Built after 1874 but before 1878 by Robert Free, the maltings innovator, and originally comprising two halves, the western half for the production of crystal malt and the eastern half for pale malt, which are now joined. It is a linear plan maltings with kilns towards the centre of the range. Constructed of yellow brick with red brick dressings and slate roof. Three storeys, the bottom of which is semi-basement, and loft storey; 30 bays. Cambered openings with wooden ventilator windows. Each bay is separated from the next by brick piers with bosses of tie bars. Stringcourse and dogtooth cornice. The main south front has two weatherboarded lucams at attic level, doors ( a right hand one with external wooden staircase), and an iron walkway at the east end. Two kilns are in the middle of the range with a steep pyramidal roof surmounted by wooden ventilating towers; a third kiln lies to the rear. Internally it is thought that the steeping pits survive, also the quarry tile malting drying floors, the kilns are reported to have wedge wire floors and the kiln ironwork is said to be by J R M Fitch of Lawford/Manningtree. Each half of the building would have originally operated independedntly. The steeping pits stood at the east and west ends with the material moving towards the kilns, the eastern block a malting in the traditional sense and the western block a crystallised malt plant. Crystal malt is not dried in a kiln but finished in a roasting cylinder, which explains the lack of a traditional kiln in the western part of the building. Malt was steeped over a period of three days in the eastern block and was then laid on the drying floors for a further four days. The kilns were all fired by anthracite and had wedge wire floors. Robert Free was a leading innovator within the industry and later developed the major works at Mistley. No other maltings showing the double use of crystal and pale malt so distinctively are known to survive.
Listing NGR: TM1780421348
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings