This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9397 / 50°56'22"N
Longitude: -1.2057 / 1°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 455906
OS Northings: 115883
OS Grid: SU559158
Mapcode National: GBR 992.2A1
Mapcode Global: FRA 86CM.G3L
Plus Code: 9C2WWQQV+VP
Entry Name: Church House Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386071
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471493
Location: Shedfield, Winchester, Hampshire, SO32
Civil Parish: Shedfield
Built-Up Area: Waltham Chase
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Shedfield
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 51 NE BISHOPS WALTHAM CLEWERS HILL
1879/4/10014 Church House Farmhouse
House, formerly farmhouse. Circa late C17. Flemish bond red brick with vitrified headers; English, Flemish and random bond brick at rear; brick platband at first floor level. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick gable-end stacks; NW stack with weathered set-offs; thrown clay pots. PLAN: L-shaped on plan; two rooms in the north range, parlour with gable-end fireplace to the west and unheated room to east, and with kitchen in the south east wing with a gable-end fireplace; entrance in the SW angle and stairs at the junction of the SE wing. Single-storey outshut extended to conservatory at rear and outbuilding converted to conservatory on south end of SE wing. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. The front comprises the inner SW sides of the 1-window ranges, the platband raised up over the entrance in the corner with C20 lean-to porch; C20 casements, ground floor left C20 bow window, ground floor right with flat brick arch. Rear [N] blocked central doorway, garden door to right and casements to left; east side has C20 ground floor window and small round-headed stair window to right of centre on each floor, ground floor within C20 conservatory with iron grille. INTERIOR: Unchamfered ceiling beams and exposed joists on ground and first floors; C20 brick chimneypieces. Dog-leg stair rising to attic. Attics ceiled, roof of queen-strut form. HISTORY: Church Farmhouse is situated in the park of the bishop's palace in Bishop's Waltham. After the Bishop's Waltham estate had been returned to the bishopric at the Restoration, the park was divided into farms to raise money for repairs to Farnham Castle. Church House Farm was probably one of those farms. SOURCE: Roberts, E., The Bishop of Winchester's Deer Parks in Hampshire, 1200-1400; Proceedings of the Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, 1988; 44; 67-86.
Listing NGR: SU5553418419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings