This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.493 / 53°29'34"N
Longitude: -2.2839 / 2°17'1"W
OS Eastings: 381262
OS Northings: 399628
OS Grid: SJ812996
Mapcode National: GBR D8B.5V
Mapcode Global: WH989.WGMJ
Entry Name: Pendleton Cooperative Industrial Society Buildings
Listing Date: 1 July 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471521
Location: Salford, M6
Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Pendleton and Claremont
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8199NW BROUGHTON ROAD
949-1/13/24 (North West side)
01/07/92 Nos.19 AND 21
Pendleton Co-operative Industrial
Former Co-operative Society premises originally comprising
shops, warehousing, assembly rooms and offices; now in use as
a range of shops with stores over. Opened 1887. By F Smith;
extension of 1903 by W H Walsingham. Brick with terracotta and
stone dressings, and Welsh slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, occupying corner site with 2 principal
elevations. Main elevation faces north: 3 storeys, 4 bays,
with tower over entrance to right of centre. Round-arched
entrance doorway with segmental pedimented head. Facade
strongly articulated as bays, separated by pilasters above the
ground floor, and by rusticated piers at ground floor.
Segmentally-arched windows to first floor (flat-arched over
entrance), and large mullioned and transomed windows to second
floor. Pedimented gable over each bay. Tower over entrance bay
terminates in octagonal lantern and domed roof. Angled corner
to Broughton Road to left stressed with pilasters sprung from
corbels over ground floor, with round-arched entrance with
enriched pedimented head, and bowed window with balustraded
parapet with urn finials to first floor. Clock over second
storey, and pedimented gable.
Long elevation to Broughton Road of 5 principal bays, built in
2 phases, but employing similar style and decoration
throughout. 3 right-hand bays form part of the original build,
and like the entrance front, each bay is expressed beneath a
stepped pedimented gable and divided by coupled pilasters
above ground floor level, painted rusticated pilasters at
ground floor. Shop fronts in each bay largely inserted, though
keeping to the original rhythm and articulation of the facade.
At first-floor level, each bay has paired windows with
mullions and shallow segmentally-arched heads with fluted
keystones. Octagonal turret rises between 2 left-hand bays,
which form the addition of 1903. The 2 gables are
symmetrically arranged, and each has pedimented gable and
pilasters to second storey. Varied fenestration, with wide
3-light window flanked by narrower windows, all with
segmentally-arched heads and wrought-iron balconettes in left
hand gable. Tiered central window to second floor, with stone
mullions and central round-arched light with transom over,
flanked by pilasters which rise each side of pedimented head.
Paired segmental windows to right-hand gable, and mullioned
and transomed windows at second floor. Central octagonal
turret springs from corbel over ground floor, and terminates
in ribbed domed cap with fleche. Rear elevation to Sovereign
Street of 5 storeys with loading bays to right, and regular
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was built to incorporate
offices, board room and assembly room, as well as stores and
shops, and the 1903 extension added committee rooms, offices,
hall, shops and show rooms.
(Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit: Salford Sites and
Monuments Record: An Introduction: Manchester: 1991-).
Listing NGR: SJ8126299628
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings