This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5044 / 53°30'15"N
Longitude: -2.262 / 2°15'43"W
OS Eastings: 382720
OS Northings: 400884
OS Grid: SD827008
Mapcode National: GBR DD6.XS
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.753T
Entry Name: Church of St John Evangelist
Listing Date: 18 January 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386159
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471583
Location: Salford, M7
Electoral Ward/Division: Broughton
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Lower Broughton St Clement with St Matthias
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD8200NE MURRAY STREET
949-1/10/85 (West side)
18/01/80 Church of St John Evangelist
Parish church. 1836-39. By Richard Lane. Chancel added 1846 by
Gregan. Ashlar-faced with Welsh slate roof. Gothic style,
reminiscent of a Commissioners' Church, but in fact a
privately-endowed building. W tower and clasping porches, nave
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower, with 3-light Decorated window, and
2-tier window and clock over. Paired bell chamber lights and
embattled parapet. Angle buttresses form tall pinnacles.
2-light Decorated windows with transoms to W of porches, which
have chamfered arched doors to N and S. 6-bay nave divided by
buttresses, with 2-light Decorated transomed window in each
bay. Embattled parapet. Chancel a later addition. Rock faced
coursed and squared rubble, with steep graded slate roof. 3
bays, with Decorated windows and N vestry with stilted arched
door and 5-light mullioned window. 5-light Decorated east
window. Organ chamber and vestry in cross gable to S.
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 6 bays with slender octagonal shafts
on high bases, the original galleries now removed. Minton
tiled floor. Wood-traceried panelled bench ends and dado wall
panelling. Later C19 wrought-iron chancel screen, removed from
Porthill, Staffordshire. Baptistery below tower with shallow
arch from nave, and marble font. Internal window to tower
chamber over. Chancel has richly coloured Minton encaustic
floor tiles and stone-traceried reredos, flanked by tiled
arched panels coloured with majolica glazes. Texts (Ten
Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Credo) with embossed lettering
set in decorative borders, probably late C19, Minton Hollins.
Ogee-arched and crocketed tomb recess in N wall to John
Clowes, the patron of the church, d1846.
Stained glass by Hardman in E window, and possibly N and S
chancel windows; S window with angels in quatrefoils
attributed to Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. In nave,
3 N windows have glass by Gilbert Shaw, one dated 1861.
Internal W window from the studio of Kempe, 1903.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South Lancashire:
Harmondsworth: 1969-: 393; Glazed Expressions (Newsletter of
the Tile Society): Skinner Peter: "Wall Tiles in Churches":
Listing NGR: SD8272000884
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings