This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4852 / 53°29'6"N
Longitude: -2.2718 / 2°16'18"W
OS Eastings: 382062
OS Northings: 398752
OS Grid: SJ820987
Mapcode National: GBR DBF.SN
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.2NGK
Plus Code: 9C5VFPPH+37
Entry Name: Royal Art Gallery, Museum and Library
Listing Date: 18 January 1980
Last Amended: 20 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471603
Location: Salford, M5
Electoral Ward/Division: Irwell Riverside
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford St Philip with St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8298NW THE CRESCENT
949-1/18/103 (North side)
18/01/80 Royal Art Gallery, Museum and
(Formerly Listed as:
Royal Art Gallery Museum and Library)
Museum, art gallery and library. 1852-7. By Travis & Mangnall.
Later additions 1878 and 1936-8. Brick with stone dressings,
Welsh slate roof. Italian Renaissance style, with outer
pedimented wings linked by long range of 4 bays with blind
EXTERIOR: entrances up steps in each wing, each in arcaded
portico with slim Corinthian columns and balustraded parapet
to balcony. Inner doors with side lights beneath pediment.
Inscription over left-hand doorway reads 'Langworthy Gallery
Erected AD 1878'. Central window in stone architrave above,
flanked by blind panels. Heavy modillion cornice running the
length of the building, above which, in each wing, a pediment
rises with arcaded decoration and terracotta panelling in the
apex. Between the 2 entrance blocks, the central range
comprises 4 segmentally-arched recesses with vermiculated
stone keyblocks to brick arches, each containing paired
round-headed 4-pane sashes, divided by a central stone
pilaster, and with a stone medallion in the spandrel. Single
4-pane sash window in stone architrave each side with stone
lunette over. Moulded stone string course over first floor
windows, its line continuing across the gabled entrance wings.
Renewed stairway inside left hand entrance, giving access to
top-lit upper galleries, the central of which has coved
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building is on the site of a mansion
known as Lark Hill, which was converted for use as a gallery,
with the addition of north and south wings 1852-7 by Travis &
Mangnall. The main block of the mansion was demolished in
1936-8, leaving the wings, to which a new extension in similar
style was built, giving the building its present symmetrical
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South Lancashire:
Harmondsworth: 1969-: 391-2).
Listing NGR: SJ8206298752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings