This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0601 / 52°3'36"N
Longitude: -1.6243 / 1°37'27"W
OS Eastings: 425855
OS Northings: 240260
OS Grid: SP258402
Mapcode National: GBR 5PS.XTZ
Mapcode Global: VHBYM.SHN1
Entry Name: The Old School Room
Listing Date: 5 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471621
Location: Shipston on Stour, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV36
Civil Parish: Shipston on Stour
Built-Up Area: Shipston-on-Stour
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Shipston-on-Stour St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP 2540 SHIPSTONE ON STOUR NEW STREET
1747/4/10003 The Old School Room
School. 1841. Flemish bond brick. Welsh slate roof with pedimental gable ends. Lateral brick stack on west side. PLAN: Rectangular on plan single cell schoolroom, with fireplace on west side, entrance on south end with later C19 porch and two doorways to outshut and walled yard at north end. EXTERIOR: Single storey. South end has brick pedimental gable with small round brick panel and stone tablet below in tympanum; brick porch at centre with gable, and doorway on left side with flush-panel door; window to left and right with stone ogee-headed frame with hoodmould and small-pane iron windows with pointed top panes. Similar windows on east and west sides, two on east side, three on west side. Doorway at north end with flat brick arch, to small walled yard with outshut on east side. INTERIOR: One schoolroom open to the tie-beam roof, and with painted brick walls; original 6-panel entrance door at south end, two doorways to at north end to yard and outshut, and small fireplace on west side, its chimneypiece and grate missing. NOTE: An indenture of 1841, in which Edward Banister conveys for o25 the land for the building of a school for females, to Rev William Evans and the churchwardens. The money was raised by public subscription.
Listing NGR: SP2585540260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings