History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Folly at St Michaels Convent (Formely Known As Park Hill)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lambeth, Lambeth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4251 / 51°25'30"N

Longitude: -0.1184 / 0°7'6"W

OS Eastings: 530918

OS Northings: 171249

OS Grid: TQ309712

Mapcode National: GBR FY.YNF

Mapcode Global: VHGRC.WFSV

Plus Code: 9C3XCVGJ+3M

Entry Name: The Folly at St Michaels Convent (Formely Known As Park Hill)

Listing Date: 6 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 471627

Location: Lambeth, London, SW16

County: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Streatham Wells

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Streatham Immanuel and Saint Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1207/34/10101 The Folly at St Michael's Convent
(Formerly known as Park Hill)


Folly. Built after 1875 and before 1899, probably for Sir Henry Tate, in Perpendicular style. Built of stock brick and earlier red bricks rendered in concrete to simulate ashlar (Pulhamite) and with ashlar quoins. Comprises octagonal tower with crenellated parapet about 25-30 feet high and about 15 feet across with two-centred arched door to ground floor chamber. Open upper storey is approached by a flight of steps leading across a stone four-centred arch with simple trefoiled spandrels with hood mould. Some lancet windows and some cruciform arrow slits of porous rock. Attached to the tower is a wall with two-centred arched entrance wuth cast iron spear railings. The folly was much overgrown by creepers at time of survey. The tower gave panoramic views over Streatham. The grounds of Park Hill were laid out in the late C19 by Robert Marnock.
["The Garden", 19 Jun 1886, 568-569.]

Listing NGR: TQ3091871249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.