This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.3885 / 50°23'18"N
Longitude: -4.0584 / 4°3'30"W
OS Eastings: 253771
OS Northings: 56319
OS Grid: SX537563
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.STNL
Mapcode Global: FRA 28D0.LRL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Blessed Virgin
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386222
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473606
Location: Plymouth, PL7
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Plympton Erle
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/11/2014
SX5356SE MARKET ROAD, Plympton
740-1/40/433 (East side)
29/03/60 Church of St Mary Blessed Virgin
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Mary Blessed Virgin)
Priory chapel, later a parish church. C14 chancel and E end of
N aisles, otherwise C15. Granite ashlar W tower, ashlar for
outer aisles and porches, otherwise limestone rubble with
limestone dressings; dry slate roofs with embattled parapets
and coped gable ends.
PLAN: nave; chancel; N and S aisles and shorter outer aisles;
N porch and 2-storey S porch; and W tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, buttressed bays to aisles with parapet
cornice, carved gargoyles and buttress pinnacles; C14 windows
to E ends of N aisles and chancel, otherwise mostly C15 or
restored Perpendicular windows, most of 3 lights, all with
tracery and hoodmoulds. S porch has stepped cusped niches
surrounding 2-light cusped window, the upper niche with statue
of the Trinity; below the window is the crest of the Strode
family, who settled at Newham, near Plympton in 1394, all
above a virtually round-arched moulded doorway with carved
spandrels and square hoodmould. At E end of S aisle is
pointed-arched doorway and the springing of a relieving arch
by adjacent window. N porch has moulded 2-centred arched
doorway with moulded hood, carved spandrels and moulded
parapet cornice above; C19 panelled and boarded door. 3-stage
embattled tower has offset corner buttresses terminating as
pinnacles near top of upper stage; strings dividing stages and
the corners surmounted by octagonal pinnacles with battlements
and crockets; 3-light louvred windows to upper stage and clock
face under to N and S sides. The W side has 2-light window to
top of 2nd stage and 3-light window over moulded
pointed-arched doorway with carved spandrels and square
INTERIOR: aisle arcades with 4-centred arches and piers of
standard A (Pevsner) type, the piers of the outer aisles are
granite; C14 piscina, and stone vault with lierne ribs over
the entrance within the S porch.
FITTINGS: C15 octagonal font; late C19 reredos by JD Sedding.
STAINED GLASS: some glass to outer S aisle by Burlison &
Grylls and glass at E end of N aisle and W end of S aisle by
Clayton & Bell.
MONUMENTS: altar slab from priory in S porch; medieval tomb
lid with cross to outer N aisle and chest tomb to Richard
Strode, d.1464, with figures of mourners and effigy with
armour, the top with ogee arches and horizontal cresting;
simpler effigy in recess to S chancel aisle probably to
William Courtenay of Loughtor; large tripartite wall monument
with Ionic columns and family group to Sir William Strode,
died 1637; cast stone monument to W Seymour, died 1801 by
Coade & Sealy; monument with 2 white putto leaning against an
obelisk with figure of a boy to Viscount Boringdon who died
1817 aged 11, by FN Delaistre, 1819, and monument with profile
head to Richard Rosdew, d.1837, by Chantrey.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
Listing NGR: SX5377156319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings