This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.1052 / 50°6'18"N
Longitude: -5.5508 / 5°33'3"W
OS Eastings: 146194
OS Northings: 28830
OS Grid: SW461288
Mapcode National: GBR DXPD.L5V
Mapcode Global: VH05H.QMV6
Entry Name: Trinity Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 14 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386515
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473904
Location: Penzance, Cornwall, TR18
Civil Parish: Penzance
Built-Up Area: Newlyn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Newlyn
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 43 SE PENZANCE CHYWOONE HILL, Newlyn
866/8/10008 Trinity Methodist Chapel
Nonconformist (Wesleyan) chapel. 1834, enlarged 1866. Coursed killas with granite dressings at the front, painted rubble at the sides; dry Delabole slate hipped roof with projecting eaves. Large rectangular aisle-less plan with horsehoe-plan gallery. 2-storey elevations; symmetrical 3-window front end. Late C19 horned sashes within original openings, round-arched to 1st floor, the front windows over a sill string. 3 round-arched doorways to ground floor, the central doorway wider and within open distyle Doric porch with unfluted wooden columns and plain moulded entablature; spoked fanlight over panelled doors. The other doorways, giving access to the gallery, have more simple spoked fanlights over panelled and glazed doors.
INTERIOR: complete refitting of 1866, with some free pews' still flanking grained box pews and box pulpit-a very rare survival -incorporated into rostrum of 1880s; marbled cast iron columns to oval gallery, with stencilled decoration to panelled front, which has grained box pews, cornicing picked out in brown colours and stencilled frieze. Communion area (brought forward 1939) with turned balusters. Memorial windows of 1923-4.
One of the best and most complete early C19 chapels in Cornwall having escaped the usual alteration to the simple front elevation and containing important and rare fittings, including the box pulpit incorporated into the later rostrum, and much of the 1860s decorative scheme.
Listing NGR: SW4619428830
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings