History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen (Methodist)

A Grade II Listed Building in St Stephen, Cornwall

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3453 / 50°20'42"N

Longitude: -4.8909 / 4°53'27"W

OS Eastings: 194412

OS Northings: 53478

OS Grid: SW944534

Mapcode National: GBR ZR.08LF

Mapcode Global: FRA 08N4.0DJ

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen (Methodist)

Listing Date: 14 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473912

Location: St. Stephen-in-Brannel, Cornwall, PL26

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: St. Stephen-in-Brannel

Built-Up Area: St Stephen

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: St Stephen-in-Brannel

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Saint Stephen

Listing Text

SW 95 SW ST STEPHEN IN BRANNEL ST STEPHENS

CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
Methodist Church and attached Sunday School
1530/3/10002

GV II

Nonconformist chapel and attached school. 1870 datestone, re-fitted 1890s. St Stephens granite brought to course and with granite dressings; state roof. Rectangular aisle-less plan with end gallery over entrance plus choir gallery at ritual E end plus organ within apse, now within later Cl9 schoolroom added at rear. Single-storey elevations; 3-bay entrance front with semi-circular arched openings including window over central doorway and tatter flanking windows. The windows, and fanlight over doors, have Y tracery and margin glazing; V-jointed boards to pair of doors. later windows to original openings to side elevations. INTERIOR has moulded ceiling cornices and ornate ceiling rose, the walls plastered and blocked out to resemble ashlar. Window openings have segmental pediments over pilasters. Pilastered and panelled gallery front has cast-iron inserts to panels and dentilled cornice above. The gallery has quadrant corners; its otherwise straight front stands on a moulded cornice and this is cantilevered out on brackets all supported by 2 slender near Ionic columns. There is a panelled screen to the entrance and stair hall. At the other end of the chapel is a choir gallery with similar detail to its flat front. The organ apse has a moulded eliptical arch and carved spandrels. FITTINGS of note include pilastered and balustraded 3-bay stepped rostrum with quadrant corners to the articulated front; communion rail in front of rostrum; 3-bay piped organ and pitch-pine pews with shaped ends. There are a number of similar classical-style chapels which date up to the 1870s in Restormel District, but this is one of the best examples.

Listing NGR: SW9441253478

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.