This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.1228 / 50°7'22"N
Longitude: -5.6832 / 5°40'59"W
OS Eastings: 136826
OS Northings: 31246
OS Grid: SW368312
Mapcode National: GBR DXBC.CKM
Mapcode Global: VH05F.F5VP
Plus Code: 9C2P48F8+4P
Entry Name: Wesleyan Reform Union Chapel and Attached Walls, Gates and Railings
Listing Date: 14 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473922
Location: St. Just, Cornwall, TR19
Civil Parish: St. Just
Built-Up Area: St Just
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Just-in-Penwith
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW 33 SE
Wesleyan Reform Union Chapel and attached walls, gates and railings
Nonconformist (Wesleyan Reform Union) chapel. 1850-1860. Rubble with granite dressings, painted to front end; slate hipped roof with projecting eaves. Rectangular aisle-less plan with full gallery and with schoolroom under chapel. Single-storey elevations over basement schoolroom; symmetrical 2-window front. Very tall original round-arched hornless sashes with glazing bars and margin panes (similar windows, over smaller 16-pane sashes, to 3-bay side elevations). Wide central round-arched doorway with good spoked fanlight over panelled doors.
INTERIOR: has plain plastered walls and moulded ceiling cornice plus fine central rose with rococo style carving; original gallery which retains its original painted and panelled front and its original grained box pews. The other fittings are later C19 except that the rare original mahogany bow-fronted pulpit is incorporated into the ornate cast-iron rostrum; organ 1950, on site of choir seating.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: granite-coped forecourt walls surmounted by wrought-iron railings with plain shafts and turned cast-iron stanchions and finials. The wall is coursed granite at the front and rubble to the returns. Towards the right the wall is ramped to a gateway flanked by 2 square-on-plan granite monolithic gate-piers with ramped pyramidal caps and there is a very plain wrought-iron gate: wall extends along right-hand boundary wall to meet rear outbuilding, former cottage, with dressed segmental arches over 2/2-pane sashes, door to 1-window left-hand and central door to 2-window taller right-hand block; latter has bracketed chimneypiece to interior.
This chapel is now the only chapel of this denomination still in use remaining in Cornwall. It is notable as being externally complete and also retains some good original internal features including the gallery with box pews and the rare pulpit.
Listing NGR: SW3682631246
Other nearby listed buildings