This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.263 / 51°15'46"N
Longitude: 0.1231 / 0°7'23"E
OS Eastings: 548224
OS Northings: 153682
OS Grid: TQ482536
Mapcode National: GBR LLQ.MYG
Mapcode Global: VHHPR.2JX3
Entry Name: Sundridge Hospital
Listing Date: 15 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386580
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473973
Location: Sundridge with Ide Hill, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN14
Civil Parish: Sundridge with Ide Hill
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Sundridge St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 45 SE SUNDRIDGE CHURCH ROAD
45/10064 Sundridge Hospital
Workhouse, now redundant hospital. c1838, with later Cl9 and minor C20 alterations. Coursed rubblestone with brick dressings, main front rendered. C20 concrete tile roofs. 3 storey. Main front has 19 windows, with projecting 3 window centre topped with a pediment, either side flanking 6 window wings and slightly projecting 2 window pavilions at either end. Rusticated quoins and first and second floor bands. Central section has inserted doorway to left and 2 tall glazing bar sashes, above 3 glazing bar casements and above again 3 smaller casements. Wings each have 2 doorways inserted and 4 casements, above 6 casements and 6 smaller casements above. Pavilions have 2 windows to each floor. Remaining facades have coursed rubble stone with brick surrounds linked vertically and horizontally. Pavilions have 4 windows to side elevations, that to right obscured by C20 lift shaft. Central block has 2 windows and single window chamfered corners, linking 2 storey wings with 7 windows. Central block has 2 storey projecting chapel wing with 6 large round headed windows on upper floor. To left single storey mortuary 3 window by 2 windows with hipped roof and gabled clerestory. Beyond linking boiler house wing. Flanking side stone walls enclose former exercise yards on either side, central wall and C20 glazed corridor link to rear Infirmary range. Infirmary range has 3 wings [inked by brick staircase links. Central 5 window section raised to 3 storey in C20,4 window wing to left and 5 window wing to right. Beyond central square isolation block now linked to central section. This workhouse was built very soon after the 1834 Act, and is one of the earliest examples to survive in its clearly recognisable form. This workhouse is the only example known to retain its original infirmary wing.
Listing NGR: TQ4891854080
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings