History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bayshill House and Lingwood House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8982 / 51°53'53"N

Longitude: -2.0818 / 2°4'54"W

OS Eastings: 394465

OS Northings: 222184

OS Grid: SO944221

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.VX3

Mapcode Global: VH947.VKS6

Entry Name: Bayshill House and Lingwood House

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386735

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474131

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Town: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHELTENHAM

SO9422SW BAYSHILL ROAD
630-1/12/190 (West side)
12/03/55 Bayshill House and Lingwood House

GV II*

Semi-detached villa now offices. c1839-42, probably by Samuel
Onley, later additions and alterations including c1970s attic
storey and range to rear. Stucco over brick with slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics and basement, 5 bays. Bay to
left is set back and blind; entrance to third bay set back
behind 2 fluted Ionic columns and Doric pilasters clasping
angles. Entrance bay has 1/1 sashes, 2 to ground floor and 3
to first floor; entrance a 4-panel door with overlight.
Flanking bays have tripartite windows with 1/1 sashes, those
to first floor have aprons. Basement has 8/8 sashes. Left
return: 2 storeys, 3 bays, that to centre set back with
clasping Doric pilasters. Similar fenestration with flanking
tripartite windows having 1/1 sashes. Centre has 1/1 sash
above entrance, a 4-panel door with side-lights.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: outer windows have blind boxes.
A bold neo-Classical design, similar to Killowen House, The
Limes and De La Bere House (qv).
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Bayshill Estate was developed by a joint
stock company which purchased land from the Skillicorne family
in 1837. By 1843 Henry Davies, in his Guide to Cheltenham,
described, 'a number of detached villas .. several of which
are occupied by resident families of affluence and station,
and others are in an unfinished state.'
Little considers this to be part of, 'a superb group (of
villas) that make Bayshill Road one of the great roads for
architecture in all England'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1992-: 147; Little B:
Cheltenham: London: 1952-: 76; Hart G: A History of
Cheltenham: Stroud: 1965-1990: 172-3).


Listing NGR: SO9447122184

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.