History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in St Mark's, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8966 / 51°53'47"N

Longitude: -2.1055 / 2°6'19"W

OS Eastings: 392837

OS Northings: 222014

OS Grid: SO928220

Mapcode National: GBR 2M9.2HN

Mapcode Global: VH947.GL8D

Plus Code: 9C3VVVWV+MR

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 14 December 1983

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386790

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474189

Location: St. Mark's, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: St Mark's

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Description


SO 92 SW; 630-1/1/241

CHELTENHAM,
CHURCH ROAD (North-West side),
Church of St Mark

(Formerly Listed as: CHURCH ROAD Parish Church of St Mark)

14/12/83

GV

II

Parish church. 1860-66, with transepts of 1888. Architect,
John Middleton, his earliest in Cheltenham; builder, John
Alcock, with tower-spire built by Messers Wingate and Sons of
Gloucester. Cost £3,540. Drilled Cotswold stone with Bath
stone quoins and dressings, Forest of Dean stone forming
alternating polychromy in voussoirs; red tile roof. Gothic
Revival, Decorated style.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: 5-bay aisled nave with double transepts and
2-bay chancel; 3-stage tower to west with corner pinnacles and
broach spire. Central gabled south porch. Circular clerestory
windows with cusped and foiled tracery. Angle buttresses.
Chancel has carved head-stops to drips and carved decoration
to buttresses.
INTERIOR: Decorated style interior with tall chancel arch and
west tower arch, stone pulpit with naturalistic carving,
medievalising red/buff tiles in the sanctuary, choir stalls,
font with naturalistic carving and benches in the nave. Raked
gallery in the west tower. The east window (c1880) has glass
by Kempe.
HISTORICAL NOTE: John Middleton designed several churches in
Cheltenham including All Saints, All Saints Road (qv); St
Philip and St James, Gratton Road (qv); St Stephen, St
Stephen's Road (qv); and Holy Apostles, London Road, Charlton
Kings (qv).

(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 116; Blake S: Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD
773-1883: Cheltenham: 1979-: 36-7; Sladen T: Notes: 1995-).

Listing NGR: SO9283722014

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.