This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5669 / 51°34'1"N
Longitude: -0.0117 / 0°0'42"W
OS Eastings: 537904
OS Northings: 187214
OS Grid: TQ379872
Mapcode National: GBR KV.V0Z
Mapcode Global: VHGQN.RW54
Plus Code: 9C3XHX8Q+Q8
Entry Name: Essex County Cricket Pavilion
Listing Date: 29 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474202
Location: Waltham Forest, London, E10
District: Waltham Forest
Electoral Ward/Division: Leyton
Built-Up Area: Waltham Forest
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Leyton St Mary with St Edward and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 38 NE
LEYTON HIGH ROAD
Former Essex County Cricket Pavilion
Cricket pavilion. 1886 by Richard Creed for the Essex County Cricket Club. Rendered and colourwashed timber frame over a brick basement; machine tile roof. Vernacular Revival style.
EXTERIOR: north elevation of main block of 2 storeys; 9-window bays to ground floor. Ground-floor verandah under the eaves of the hipped roof supported on square-section timber posts with arched braces to the arcade plate. Central half-glazed door, and a double-leaf door replacing a window in third bay from left, inserted 1935. Windows are 9116 horned sashes. Framing the openings are the exposed studs and rails of the frame. At extreme ends of the elevation are doors added in 1935 opening into storerooms created when the 2-bay east and west verandah returns were blocked.
First floor in the form of an elaborated dormer with half-timbered end gables and a tatter central gable rising out of a hipped roof and crowned with a square open cupola with a domed top and weathervane. Overhanging eaves supported on square timber posts, in 2 registers under the central hip. Continuous frieze of 8 25-paned windows plus a central half-glazed double-leaf door. End gables with similar doors both flanked by 15-paned windows either side.
Side pavilions have a central glazed door flanked by 12112 horned sashes, set under a hipped roof with overhanging eaves supported on square-section timber posts. Between the pavilions and the centre block are boarded single-storey links added in 1935.
Rear, south, elevation composed of a central twin gabled element fitted with 2 4-light casements, above which rises the taller central gable, with one 2-light casement in the attic. One tripartite dormer window to main roof slope either side.
INTERIOR: central ground-floor room (tong room) with widened openings east and west into home (west) and visitors' (east) changing rooms. First-floor players'room (centre) and committee room to west both with plank-lined walls and boarded ceilings. 2 further rooms to east. Roof of A-frame trusses.
Listing NGR: TQ3790487214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings