This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8124 / 50°48'44"N
Longitude: -1.0641 / 1°3'50"W
OS Eastings: 466031
OS Northings: 101845
OS Grid: SU660018
Mapcode National: GBR VW9.MX
Mapcode Global: FRA 86NY.H7W
Plus Code: 9C2WRW6P+X9
Entry Name: Church of St Alban
Listing Date: 25 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387029
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474445
Location: Portsmouth, PO3
Electoral Ward/Division: Baffins
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea St Alban, Copnor
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU60SE COPNOR ROAD, Copnor
774-1/4/131 (East side)
25/09/72 Church of St Alban
Church. 1914. By Sir Charles Nicholson (west end rebuilt
following Second World War bomb damage, 1956, by Dykes Bower).
Red brick in English bond. Plain tiled roofs. Simplified
PLAN: 5-bay nave and aisles, chancel 3-bays, north Lady Chapel
and south vestry. West bell tower.
EXTERIOR: north face of aisle has 5 narrow lancet windows with
diamond pattern leaded lights each set under brick header
pointed arch, brick sill. Brick buttress at far left, far
right and centre. 7 similar clerestory windows to nave.
Chancel has 3 long narrow lancet windows with flanking
buttresses to centre window. Projecting from chancel is a low
flat-roofed Lady Chapel with two, and on left return (west)
one 3-light stone mullioned window each set under ogee stone
lintel, rusticated stone jambs and sill. To right of aisle is
a porch with lean-to roof; recessed 2-leaf boarded door with
panelled overlight set under brick pointed arch. Each face of
lower roofed chancel has 2 tall lancet windows set within
recessed brick face. Facing stone coped gable. East face of
south vestry has 3 small lancet headed windows, lean-to roof
with brick coped parapet. South face of nave and chancel have
similar lancet windows to north. At centre of west face of
nave is a 2-leaf boarded door set under flat concrete lintel
and approached by open arcaded 3-bay portico with pointed
brick arches. Over entrance within facing gable is a stone
traceried rose window. To left is a 2-stage brick bell tower.
1st stage with lancet window and narrower 2nd stage with 2
lancet windows on each side, brick dentilled eaves and
INTERIOR: nave arcades have octagonal stone piers and pointed
arches. Roof king post trusses with slightly pitched panelled
ceiling. Flat panelled ceiling to aisles with painted timber
beams. Chancel has square pattern flat timber ceiling with red
painted beams and gold leafed base, at intersection. West end
windows have stained glass.
(Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 131, 132; Buildings of England: Pevsner N &
Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth:
1973-: 434, 435; Offord John: Churches, Chapels and Place of
Worship on Portsea Island: Southsea: 1989-: 12).
Listing NGR: SU6610802158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings